Does Heavy AV cause sytem failure?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by COMPYPY, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

I want to know that do heavier security suite like bitdefender/kaspersky cause system damage or they just slow down machine.
    I have some bad experience regarding this issue.
    One of my old machine damage once i installed BIS and KIS on machine.
    It results in harddisc and motherboard crash by Installing BIS and KIS respectively
    Is it coincidence or heavy av crashes system

P>S I had installed avast and avira on both old machine and they are running well but once i install kis some part of machine crash.

Please dont answer that I should stick with avast/avira which I am , but I am curious to know the impact of certain AV on certain Machine

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

How could they cause damage? They don't effect any physical component in your system other then your HDD, and even then with you HDD they are just on the platter like any other software on your computer would be! ;)

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Am I to understand you installed Bitdefender and Kaspersky at the same time? No, it won't physically damage your machine, but it could trash your Windows install. Don't do it in any case. Pick one and be done with it.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I suppose that theoretically a "heavy" AV (in regards to disk usage); might shorten the lifespan of a HDD slightly,given that they all have a finite number of "writes" before malfunction.If the disk was already close to failure this may have an influence.

Again theoretically,high resource usage may cause an increase in the system temperature which might hasten motherboard failure,electrolytic capacitors being especially prone to heat damage.

How much of an effect this might have is very much open to debate and personally I'd think it'd be negligible.

5. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Practically: No
    Unless you are in testing org. doing various testing and ruining your hard drive, H/W wont be affected

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Theoretically,Your spot on.:thumb:

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

You have to be careful, some av suites may drive you to beat you computer with a blunt instrument :argh:

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

LMAO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.