Does First Defence- ISR work with Hardware Raid Controller Cards yet?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Brother Esau, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Esau

Brother Esau Registered Member

Just curious to know if this product will work with Enterprise level Hardware Raid Controller Cards yet? I know that First Defense- ISR when it was owned by RAXCO ....DID NOT.. support Raid of any fassion, but I am hoping that this is not the case a couple of years later.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can't answer your question for sure, but you might read this or contact the support. :)
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/253715.ihtml

PS: The official reseller of FirstDefense-ISR is now Horizon DataSys Inc., not Raxco anymore.
    FirstDefense-ISR is also sold under the names : BootBack and Peer-ISR, all three are the same. The original developper is Leapfrog.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It works fine on my Silicon Image 3114 Sata Controller chip configured as RAID 0.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Likewise, I've been runnng FDISR with both Promise Raid and Nvidia Raid, no problems at all.

Pete

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

He is running a hardware-based RAID controller (Areca 1231ML). Not sure if this makes a difference compared to software-based RAID (Intel ICHx, NVIDIA MCPs, etc)

6. Brother Esau

Thanks guys I have found more info on it and it does support Hardware Base Raid now but limited to 0,0+1,5 Raid Levels. I am using the Server version 3.20 right now and so far so good but my only question at this point is is the initial Primary Image thats shot when installed is that Bootable or just the secondary thats taken from the Primary Image?

7. Peter2150

Initial Primary snapshot is just your original C: drive and yes it should be bootable. All snapshots should be bootable. Only archives aren't.

Pete

8. Brother Esau

Thanks Peter so if I understand you coreectly then if you were to install FD-ISR right after windows and driver install it would create the Primary Image upon install which could be used to revert back to in the event of Windows corruption?

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After installation, FDISR creates the Primary Snapshot automatically and YOU create the Secondary Snapshot.
    The Primary Snapshot is your WORK snapshot for daily use and the Secondary Snapshot is your ROLLBACK snapshot, in case something goes wrong in your WORK snapshot. You need minimum 2 snapshots, the rest is optional.
    FDISR displays a Splash Screen with a F1-key during reboot, that allows you to boot in any existing snapshot.
    FDISR starts BEFORE Windows starts and that's why you can restore your system with FDISR, even when Windows doesn't start due to a corrupted WORK snapshot or BSOD's.
    By booting in your Secondary Snapshot, you can fix your corrupted Primary Snapshot and then you can boot in your Primary Snapshot again and continue your job as nothing happened.

If it is still not clear enough, we will explain it in detail until you understand it. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. Brother Esau

Is there any difference between the Workstation version and the Server version beside the extremely high price tag?

11. ePlanetDesign

ePlanetDesign Registered Member

12. Peter2150

Yes, but you would need a secondary snapshot, or there would be nothing to recover from. So right after the windows install, you would install FDISR. That would create the primary. Then you would use copy/update and create a secondary snapshot.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.