does Firefox require global hooks?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by jim28277, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

Does Firefox require global hooks or any other special authority? I have started to have some problems and I think it may be firefox that is creating my problems. Every so often my computer hangs and eventually I get the message XPCOM event receiver is not responding. thanks in advance.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

On my system, Firefox is not requesting hooks. I am running XP SP2. It may be different under different operating systems.

Rich

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m running the same as richrf and Firefox doesn`t use any special privileges.

4. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

I had the same problem with the computer hanging and the XPCOM error statement appearing. I am running WINXP with sp2. and using the Firefox browser. A Firefox reinstall definitely fixed the problem for me and it might be worth considering if nothing else seems to work.

5. jim28277

Thanks to everyone for their prompt responses. I am planning to uninstal/reinstal firefox later today as Bdiamond has suggested. At this point, I am just happy to hear that somone else has had a similar problem and was able to resolve it with a reinstal.

6. jim28277

Thanks Bdiamond, reinstalled Firefox tonight and XPCOM hanging problem went away. Cheers

7. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

Regarding apps that want global keyboard or mouse hooks, I have noticed that any app which calls the windows OpenFile dialog API call triggers the attempted hook. Probably this is to support drag-n-drop filenames, and the originating app is not actually directly responsible for the hook request, it is probably coming from the comctl32 dll.

I know that the win32 apps that I write don't have hook calls, but they do have OpenFile calls, and I see PG catches hook requests from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.