Does DDS see what the BIOS sees or more?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by tonyangelo, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyangelo

tonyangelo Registered Member

Does anyone know if Disk Director Suite is limited to what the Bios sees, or if it can see the whole disk if the BIOS doesn't support 48bit lba?

As seen in some of the posts at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=489486
    Some people have had issues using the program with drives >137gb if the bios is limited to 32bit lba. That is unless an add-on ata controller is installed.

Windows XP with SP2 can see large drives because it uses its own drivers and doesn't work through the BIOS. But I recall reading that DDS drops out of windows for some disk work, which of course means that it's not using windows drivers then. Does it work solely with the BIOS then, or does it work around the BIOS?

Tech support emailed directly with the following:
    Acronis Disk Director Suite properly recognizes and operates hard disks up to 2 TB in size. (1 TB = 1024 GB). Thus, you shouldn't bother if your drive will be recognized or not.

I understand that it can work with large drives, but there were(maybe still are) conditions for it to work, as noted in the previous posts I linked.

Separately, will DDS ever support NTFS conversions? I see posts from last year saying that they are working on it, and "it will surely be available to DDS 9.0". Is that still the case, or will I have to buy DDS 10 right after I buy DDS 9 to have this capability.
    Thanks for any info.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tonyangelo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 supports large drives. You can http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/diskdirector/download a free trial version and see how the program works.

The current version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 allows you to convert a FAT16 partition to FAT32 and backward. The future versions of Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 will support NTFS conversions.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Thank you
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.