Does Avira stop drive by downloads?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If I install Avira, will it help me stop getting infected with "drive by" trojans etc?

2. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

It will....just remember, as always, no AV is 100%

Cheers

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It's OK, I removed Avira. Kept saying something about an installation problem as I was installing it. Look on google and it seems it has happened to many people, not just me.

I guess I will just use Sandboxie instead, and even if I get a drive by download trojan, it won't infect my system once I close down and delete the Sandboxie folder.

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

I had a similar problem once. I think, all you have to do, is reset winsock. Copy and paste this line:

netsh winsock reset

in a command promt and restart Windows. try to install Avira again.

Cheers

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes, good link, I watched it.

What he says is that we need HIPS, and not rely on AV's such as Avira alone, because as he showed, it didn't stop registry changes.

But he didn't mention what HIPS program he uses?

7. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

wow, that machine is now stupidy infected.

8-9/10, id have to disagree.

files in system32 and registry changes from just a few links is not good, i dont understand how he can say that. :rolleyes:

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No AV on its own can be really trusted to stop new undetected viruses. Using Sandboxie and/or ShadowDefender along with a good AV (one with high detection and not slowing down your system) will give you arguably 100% system security, but you might still be vulnerable in terms of privacy.

Some people here will tell you that Sandboxie properly configured won't allow anything to phone home. I don't know as I don't and will not use Sandboxie as I believe too many layers of security applications will inevitably create conflicts or slowdown your machine.

Any registry changes with Sandboxie or Shadow Defender will be undone by deleting the sandbox or by rebooting your computer (Shadow Defender). Running an AV or a HIPS might protect these applications from the very rare event of malware attacking directly the sandbox or virtualizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.