Does AVG really detect better in Real Life?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have read more than a few times now that AVG Free offers much better detection than what any of the AV Tests show when used in real life circumstances. Although AVG didn't do terrible in the August On Demand AV Comparitives, it didn't do well in the May Retrospective/Pro Active ones. So even if it's detection is better than what the tests indicate, the much lower scores in prevention is still a little curious. Any thoughts?

2. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

If you are referring to the av-comparatives test, I would say that test is probably as close to 'real-life' that a realtime antivirus comparative test can get, so it's results are quite accurate (i.e. reflecting a ''real-life'' situation).

Regards

3. marcromero

marcromero Guest

My roommate uses AVG free, she likes it, it seems to keep her protected quite well in real life, her daughter is reckless when it comes to surfing the net, and I do remove quite a bit of adware/spyware with other utilities, but as for as viruses and trojans, it has kept her pretty clean from what I've seen when I do clean up on her system. I now use the DrWeb CureIt scanner to double check her system and AVG, so far, everything checks out good. I would not base my use of an antivirus program solely on the av-comparatives results. That's just me, I look at all av tests with skepticism.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have used AVG free in the past. I had no negative issues with it and found it to be O. K. I think the other free AVs are just better at doing what AVs are suppose to do. ;)

5. chrisjackson1985

chrisjackson1985 Former Poster

to be honest, i like avg....but hate the interface.

i was a little shocked that it only takes standard rating from av comparatives, but in real-life protection, i found this software to be good.

i would recommend the pro over the free, as it will scan inside archives (if i remember) ... something like that, my memory is failing on me, but i know the pro does things the free one doesnt, its not only the customer service.

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I was just informed what the AV Comaparitives Retrospective/Proactive Tests truly are about. I obviously misunderstood what this by thinking they were for an AV's Real Time protection against Viruses). Thankfully though, after being married for 27 years I can take it when someone corrects me. LOL. However, what these tests are for should probably be explained here, and then we can get some views on AVG's results being so low compared to other AV's, and what it means if anything. Thanks to anyone who can do this.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

AVG is the least effective of the free antivirus programs.
    The bottom line though is personal preference.With safe surfing habits AVG may suffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.