Does anyone Use Kaspersky personal 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear raydog1, no need to be sorry. we have to understand one thing. before KAV 5 the checksums were stored in a central database. in that case it could get deleted and KAV had no option but to build it again. so now it is distributed among all those files. another AV named Quickheal does the same but doesn't use the AD Stream, instead it drops a visible file in every folder and root directory. but in this case during uninstallation everything goes away if the user chooses to remove checksum data.
    performance comes at a price and for KAV its those ADS tags. no way they are a security risk but KAV should do something to remove them during uninstallation.

dear azumi21, if NOD32 works for you its great. still with your machine specification its puzzling to know that KAV is slowing down everything. mine is a lot older than yours but runs fine with KAV.

again sorry guys....

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I don't have time to read this whole thread, especially Mele20's rants, but I've been using KAV 5.0 Personal on two separate WinXP systems since it was released in its final version, and I am very happy with it.

I used KAV 4.5 before KAV 5.0, and I'm never going back. Yes, KAV 5.0 has a simpler interface, with fewer options. I thought this would bother me, but it doesn't. The reason, as it turns out, is that I have better things to do than obsess over spinning knobs and playing with configuration dialogs. I do want my anti-malware software to "just work".

I do believe that hiding the advanced options under "Troubleshooting" was a stupid move. And a few more options would be nice to have--but there is probably nothing missing that you really need.

Yes, KAV 5.0 creates a lot of alternate data streams, but this is not necessarily a problem. It does not negatively affect my system. I do agree that Kaspersky should provide a way to remove them if KAV 5.0 is uninstalled, though.

KAV 5.0 is much easier on my system. KAV 4.5 was so in-your-face that it didn't let me run defrags without first disabling it. I don't have that problem with KAV 5.0 (at least not to anywhere near the same extent).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.