Does anyone Use Kaspersky personal 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Thanks Blackcat. Let's hope for a positive response from kaspersky. :)

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I sent an email to Kaspersky support UK enquiring whether KAV Personal users could potentially use the extra configuration options present in the new version PRO but not the extra PRO features such as the Office Guard and KAV Inspector. The lovely Lisa replied within the last hour;
    So still up in the air! The PRO version seems a long way off if Lisa has not seen anything yet!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mele20, i couldn't read your posts as they were too big for my RAM. just one look provoked these remarks.

1. i'm ignorant.
    2. still i find it very easy to remove each of those tags.
    3. KAV 5 uninstalls properly only leaves the tags.
    4. no severe fragmentation problem.
    5. no confliction because of those tags.

4. callthedoctor

callthedoctor Registered Member

Hello....

I'm by no means an AV Expert....but I finally bought KAV5.

My box is a TBird 800 with 640k RAM running W2KP.

NOD32 ran GREAT...however, after the trial I uninstalled and demo'd KAV...it instantly found 3 baddies...and I was pretty impressed.

KAV5 does tax my system more than NOD....but I feel a little safer with KAV. And the slowdown is not overwelming....(I'm going through the same bust with OP and LNS....will probably be chosing LNS since OP is also a memory-hog like KAV and I don't want both snagging up all the RAM.)

All the talk about ADS and defrag'in hasn't quite soaked in yet...I may be pissed later though...lol.

Good Luck with your choice.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I didn't mean to insult you and am sorry if you took it that way. I'm very curious as to how you been able to EASILY remove the KAVICH tags from your system. Please share that as the rest of us trying to remove them have had a terrible time doing so. The severe fragmentation appears to be caused by the use of System Restore along with the ADS tagging. So do you use system restore?

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mele20, its ok. please remeber that this is a open forum and every post is visible to all. so please refrain from posting remarks that might offend someone. everyone has their opinion but not all opinions are welcome specially when they are directed towards someone's intelligence or ability. "streams -s -d [drive]:" does it for me. no i never use system restore.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. Streams is what I used. But Streams ran for about 12 hours (overnight) and overheated my computer when I discovered Streams still trying to remove all the tags the next morning. I had to abort and then finally had to uninstall KAV 4.5 and run Streams again (after I let the computer cool down) in Command Line Safe Mode in order to remove them. Afterwards, I STILL had 35 files with KAVICH tags which can removed only by my obtaining a trial of TDS_3 and taking time to learn how to use it and then removing each tag by hand manually. Now if you consider this "easy" well.....If you think it is OK for my computer to overheat while trying for that many hours to remove all those tags....well.....we sure have different definitions of "easy" and "safe"!

I have repeatedly said that there is no evidence that one will have the severe rapid fragmentation problem if one, like you, doesn't use System Restore. Why didn't you state this extremely pertinent fact in your first post? Your post was very misleading since you left this out. Most users are not going to want to purchase ANOTHER expensive piece of software because their purchase of KAV 5.0 renders them unable to use System Restore. If you happen to be someone who already owns imaging software like Acronis , etc. then of course you might be happy with KAV 5.0. But your post makes it sound like no one will have problems with 5.0 or be unhappy that they now must also fork out a good amount of money for Acronis or similar software.

Furthermore, Streams is confusing to use. The average user or newbie that 5.0 is designed for would have no idea how to install Streams properly or use it. So, I still say Kaspersky has got some big problems involving 5.0 and the majority of its users. Kaspersky appears to agree as they are working on a tool that will allow KAV 5.0 to PROPERLY uninstall itself which it is presently incapable of doing and they are also working on the System Restore/fragmentation problem. Most likely ADS tagging will be removed from 5.0 or at the very least be made optional.

8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I tried both KAV 4.5 and 5.0, and I will give it two thumbs up for its excellent protection/detection from baddies, but it actually is a resource hog on my system and slowed things down beyond my likings. When I say that I mean certain programs ran slower then usual when trying to start them up, and whenever I downloaded anything, sometimes the save to box would literally never pop up, in other words failed downloads until I shut down KAV. Other programs that ran slow were Acrobat Reader, Pegasus Mail, my Lexmark printer just to name a few, along with a few different web sites loading slowly with either IE or Mozilla browsers. My system is by no means wimpy either, but the slow downs I could not handle. If it weren't for that KAV would have gained another customer.

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

All of the above happened to me today.....sure glad i have programs to pull me out of messes like that.....to be fair i think i got the BHO cause i did not turn off PG....after turning it off i was able to boot but it took forever and nothing was working as it should.....some time ago i tried the old version, booted up fine but it slowed me down more then i liked ( XP Home...256 Ram )....thought i would try again earlier today ....went to their site and got latest download .... i am not a happy camper.

"I guess those "morons" don't appreciate 65,000 worthless 80-100kb ADS tags left in place after uninstalling and the massive fragmentation/defragmentation issue with sytem restore."

Add this moron to that list.

10. raydog1

raydog1 Guest

The ADS tags do cause conflicts. After uninstalling KAV 5, any file I tried to transfer to floppy that was created while KAV ws installed gave an error mentioning the KAV ADS Stream. This error did not stop the transfer, but was still very annoying. It wasn't until I learned about this problem through Google and forums like this that I was not alone. Thank goodness for the forums and Streams.

I will not put KAV 5 on any PC, nor will I recommend it until this problem is fixed.

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mele20, i already mentioned i never read ( past tense ) your post between the lines. i don't know about your computer but mine allows me to remove those tags in less than 5 minutes. its easy for me that way. also if you see the command-line interface of Streams, its much much easier than other command-line tools. it wants only two switches and one path. can you think of something easier? if you don't like the program then don't use it. why are on a mission against KAV? probably your machine is messed up thats why your having this overheating problem or conflictions. thats why your opinion about KAV is like THAT. mine works nicely and i like KAV, thats why my opinion is like THIS. if you don't like my opinions then ignore it as i ignore yours.

dear raydog1, that was not an error. it was just a warning to let you know that the copy operation won't copy the ADS tag to floppy. floppies use FAT12 filesystem and it doesn't support ADS. if you find it too annoying then you're welcome to quit using KAV. after all its your choice.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You sure are grouchy. ;) There is nothing wrong with my computer. It is a very fast Dell 8300 Dimension. I do not have air conditioning. It is not allowed in any of the condos here. In fact almost no homes have airconditioning. It is the middle of the summer and I live in a rain forest. Of course, my computer will overheat after running for twelve hours trying to strip off ADS tags. Any 3GHz computer will do that in these weather conditions.

If you haven't read any other of my posts on this issue...then why bother to read the ones in this thread? You certainly have no idea what I am talking about if you don't read my posts. I read all of yours. :D

I cannot fathom why you would say that I am on a "mission against KAV". That statement proves you have not read my comments here and at the KAV forum at IKON board or at DSLreports which is my home site. I have stated repeatedly that I think KAV 4.5 is outstanding so how you can claim I am on a "mission against KAV" is crazy. I plan to purchase KAV 4.5 so I think you should take a flying leap.

And may I ask why you call people you don't know "my dear" and then proceed to attack them?

13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

well Mele20, i never used "MY" and this is how i call everyone in this forum be it a newbie or site Administrator. no one complained so i thought its not a bad manners. English is not my first language so pardon me if i infuriated you. looks like you misunderstood my intentions. i never attacked you. if i had that in my mind i'd have called you a whining moron who doesn't know much about computers. in fact you're the one that called me grouchy first time in this forum. you're the one who started calling people ignorant and morons. LOL.

again i'm just voicing my opinion here. i never had problems with KAV 5 as the original poster has asked. no confliction or slowdown or defragmentation in anyway. if you go on using KAV 5 then those ADS tag removal isn't an issue. in case you have to remove them it is very easy. i'm using a Celeron 850MHz with 256MB SDRAM, XP with system restore turned off.

EDIT: Mele20 if you find my post offensive or think that i'm attacking you in anyway then report my post as abuse.

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

15. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Same for me here.
    Let's remember to stay polite, so no one gets offended! :)

16. raydog1

raydog1 Guest

I'm sorry AMRX. I did was not clear in my post. (It was a little late)

I meant to say that I was getting the error/warning AFTER KAV 5 was UNINSTALLED. This is what made it so annoying. There's no reason why I should have to deal with any problems from the residue of any application. Isn't this why we turn to alternatives to Norton and McAfee?

17. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

kav is a mess.
    it's slow, it lagged my computer to death (even with 2.6 p4, 2 gigs ram)
    everyone says it so good - i don't see it.
    it has a poor rating on virus bulletin (http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?kaspersky.xml).
    when i finally uninstalled it, it left behind all these hidden ads streams (that tds-3 found). eset nod32 is the best by far, especially with the new beta version.

18. farnsworth

farnsworth Guest

KAV is an excellent product imo, everything i've read leads me to believe it has the best detection rates out there. I didn't get 5.0 personal because of the problems with ADS, but i'm currently trying the beta of KAV for workstations 5.0 where you can turn the ADS feature off and i'm impressed with it. Very little slowdown, good interface, and, aparently, most of the options they missed out on in 5.0 personal.
    It may not have a perfect record at VB100, but the reasons for failing that test were not down to poor detection if you read the reviews. NOD32 may have more VB100 awards, but when it comes to detection most people would agree kaspersky detects far more threats, especially in the trojan and malware department

19. Tap

Tap Guest

You can't judge the quality of an AV by simply count amount of VB100% logos, VB100% can mislead people.

In my opinion NOD32 is not the same tier as KAV or McAfee if you want the best overall protection from malware and NOD32 doesn't even come to close to KAV or McAfee when it comes to overall detection rates. When today's main threat is not only ITW virus/worm that are tested by Virus Bulletin. Detection of 100% of ITW virus/worm is a basic capability of decent AV.

In my opinion KAV and McAfee is the best of the best if you want real protection from malware and KAV is the best money can buy.

20. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I also think KAV and McAfee are very good.

However, from my experence NOD also detects some real world current infections prior to KAV or McAfee.
    Example: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42010
    This has occured a number of times.

I run NOD and BOClean on a P4 2.8 machine that is used for gaming.
    To me that is a great combination and no noticable effect with the real time protection running on both NOD and BOClean.

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Looks like everything is cool here now - let's keep it that way folks; we like politeness and civility at Wilders. ;)

22. kav is great

kav is great Guest

When i installed the latest nod because i wanted to see how good it was so i went to alot of questionable sites hoping i would pick some nasties up.Well after cruising the net for awhile nod never went off with the alarms that it had found anything.So i did a scan only to find out i had 21 different types of malware and trojans in my java cash.

I had all the settings on nod set to its max--i ran nod clean wanting to delete them and it had a problem trying to delete them--it only deleted 5--which was upsetting.

So i installed kav 5.0 again and ran the scan--it found all the remaining trojans and deleted them.

They both found the same trojans--down to the last one--but nod had a problem deleting them.??--don't know why

So what im getting at here --most of the virus programs will detect the nasties

BUT WILL IT BE ABLE TO DELETE THEM.

I just like an antivirus that lets me know whenever a nasty is on my computer--it may not harm anything in the java cach---but i dont want any trojan hanging around for a party on my computer.

Of course kav used more resources but i think it is well worth it.

Now guys im not a reviewer and im not here to bash anything--this is just what happened to me.

23. azumi21

we are talking about av software. vb100 is right on the mark with nod32.
    i use tds-3 for trojans / malware. malware like kav that puts hidden ads streams on every file. i am glad there is a lot av software competition,
    makes for much better products.

24. azumi21

for the money...

mcafee, blah...i would use symantec over them anyday.

on kav, besides my previous comments and it's poor vb100 detection rate, the price is outrageous. i would pay not to use it.

<3

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As already posted above, probably ALL KAV's failures to achieve 100% pass rates over at VB are due to false positives NOT a failure in detection. If you look at a variety of testing sites, KAV or KAV-based engines are nearly always at the top.
    I agree the price of KAV Personal Pro is high but this is not aimed at the Home market. KAV personal seems reasonably priced at $44.
    Choose whatever AV you are most comfortable with ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.