Does anyone use both Spyware Doctor and Spysweeper?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I use NOD32, Comodo Firewall, Spysweeper, and Spyware Blaster. With that set up and my surfing habits, I really don't have malware problems. However, I have long been enamored with Spyware Doctor, but have just never put it on my machine. I do feel that it detects and cleans the highest percentage of spyware when compared to counterspy, spy sweeper, pest patrol, etc. And I also feel that if I scan with bothj Spyware Doctor and Spysweeper I wopuld pretty much get 100% spyware coverage.

But I wonder if it is necessary (don't think it is). I also worry that it might drain system resources having both. Obviously, IK would not use the active protection in both.

That leads me to one last train of thought. Does one do certain functions better than the other? Like is one better at rootkits and the other better at keystroke loggers? Does one protect the registry better or does one protect IE settings and the hosts file more completely?

has anyone compared the various protections of these programs to see where each one excels in comparison to the other?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have only used spysweeper and it uses to much resourse.
    spyware doctor uses alot of resourse and i have heard about lots of flase possitives with it.
    lodore

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Spyware Doctor is basically bloated, false positive ridden crap. And I wouldn't use Spysweeper with it at all because your computer will basically be molasses.

I don't have respect for either app really. In the past both trials of them let you remove spyware. Now you have to pay to remove anything. That's stupid. It's not a trial, it's more like a "preview".

Don't overestimate the threat of spyware. Many, many sites and people totally overblow it. Unless you click random ads or popups, or don't have some realtime suite/antispyware/antivirus whatever, you're not likely to be flooded with it!

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Good question ejr, you deserve an answer

I have used both SD and SW in practice and would not badmouth either product as some seem to enjoy doing. Malware is a real threat and you are wise to take steps to prevent it and to scan and remove it.

I don't really take opinions like it is crap and bloated seriously since they are stated so firmly they must beconsidered biased as they come without facts.
    Many seem negatively to products they don't have and may never have used. If they aren't free they are NO GOOD.

Both products do what they say they do. They are very close in performance.

The last comparisons I saw indicted SW was slighty weaker on rootkits but stronger on Keyloggers. On malware like trojans SW was slightly stronger.
    SD has a much fancier user interface very easy to use but it does cost a bit in resources on your PC. Does a lot and takes a bit to do that.

Since SW found a nasty call home trojan for me, and SD missed it I choose SW but for you it may be a toss up. I added Blacklite to compensate for the rootkit deficit. No 1 product gets them all, 60% is a good estimate so you need an on demand one as well to back up your prime scanners. Same is true for AV products.

With your other software you should be fine to give SD a pass, you sure don't want both, since they don't play well together since they argue over shields.

Hope that helps you

5. btman

btman Registered Member

I really liked spyware doctor and am buying it eventually lol.

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

btman:

I liked SD as well, BUT what was your reason technically for going with it?

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have tried them both on several occasions.

Spy Sweeper was OK - the move to "buy to clean" is horrible.
    Spyware Doctor is one huge false positive.

I would not recommend either. You can have better solutions for less money.

Further still, I don't you need them at all.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.