Does anyone still run MSE 1.0.2498.0?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Daveski17, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I know MS have released MSE #2, but I am still running MSE #1. Microsoft claim that eventually they will 'stage' the upgrade for people using MSE #1. To be honest, I'd rather wait until MS upgrade me. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade but I am interested in how many MSE users on Wilders have actually upgraded manually rather than wait to be upgraded by Microsoft.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Have they not pushed it to Windows Update yet? Not sure what the hold up is.

3. Daveski17

I suppose it will just be a matter of time. I'd rather wait, MS must have a reason.

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hi ! Don't search such a reason in everything . Fighting modern threats can only be done with modern technologies . I strongly recommend you always upgrade to the very latest version and don't wait - there is really not a reason for you to wait .

Good luck!

5. Daveski17

Thanks, but I remember Vista ...

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The beta for version 2 was very stable and with;

1. Enhanced protection for web-based threats,

2. An updated anti-malware engine that offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities with better performance.

3. A network inspection system for Vista and Windows 7.

Much improved over version 1.

Running very well for months on several of my machines and runs lighter compared to the previous version.

7. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info (I'm tempted to try #2 ;) ).

8. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You would think that a company with a market cap of ~240 billion dollars (Symantec's is ~13 billion) would have an Antimalware/firewall product that would be without doubt top tier (neither MSE nor Forefront knocks one's socks off). I wonder if the IE fiasco in Europe makes them hold back producing a really excellent solution. Or perhaps they really don't care all that much.

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I’ve upgraded the moment the main download server was updated with the official v2 stable release.

Vista was premature, but that’s an operating system. But as for an antivirus system or some security product, you should always update to the next officially released stable version. It also have been out for over a month now, any bad experiences being reported?

v2 been working smoothly and speedy on my system, so you should consider giving it a go. But if anything goes wrong, blame the user 3GUSER. ;)

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I downloaded and installed v2 some time ago and it's been great, zero issues for me. I am really surprised it hasn't come thru Win Updates yet. That's pretty weird.....

11. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

As a forum regular I am a little miffed as to your logic used. Comparing an anti-malware utility upgrade to an OS upgrade isn't on the same level IMO. In any event it only takes a few minutes to download the latest version and do an uninstall/reinstall. You aren't required to reboot after removing v1, but once v2 is installed and the new engine is downloaded it should require a reboot.

I upgraded manually to gain immediate access to the new feature set.

12. Daveski17

Or maybe they are being careful.

13. Daveski17

When I asked MS on their forums they said I could either wait or download. I'm not sure what to do now ... o_O

14. Daveski17

Well, MSE #1 is working so well I hate to be premature if MS say that they will upgrade me eventually.

Maybe not, but it's not like MS haven't released things prematurely before. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Yes, I gathered as much.

OK, I may talk to MS a bit before I make a decision. Thanks for the input. :thumb:

15. Daveski17

Hurrah! MS have updated me! :cool:

16. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I have a 64-bit machine I would love to upgrade MSE on but it fails every time I try. I've looked at many forums with no luck. :doubt: With that being said, yeah I'm still using 1.0.2498.0.

Attached Files:

17. Phant0m

18. Daveski17

I haven't tried to upgrade on my 64 bit machine yet. I was giving the laptop a bit of a run first. The first time I tried a definitions update on MSE 2 it failed. It seems OK now though.

19. Phant0m

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  20. Daveski17

OK, I just upgraded on my Win 7 64 bit computer from MSE's upgrader. So far so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.