Does Anyone See A Trend Developing Here?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DrBenGolfing, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

2. Not a surprise the top 2 are FREE services. :doubt:

3. DrBenGolfing

:thumb:

4. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Virus protection should be free. And hassle free too. One that is integrated into the OS by the OS' developers is even better.

I'm not sorry to see the likes of Symantec and McAfee wallowing at the bottom. For I remember all too well the long nights of wrestling with products from those two vendors in many ways. System slowdowns, nag screens, tedious interfaces, subscription reminders.. None of it was conducive to a pleasant user experience. And equally bad for support personnel.

Since I've been recommending MSE I've gotten all sorts of compliments on finding a practical & livable anti-malware system. MSE + some internet safety tips are really all one needs.

Mal-ware protection needs to be unobtrusive and transparent, except when a problem crops up. Then you want concise guidance. Otherwise the customer simply ignores the warnings and eventually (through major computer gymnastics) uninstalls the scanner. And in the process they experience nothing but frustration. After two or three times doing this, trying different security suites, they get fed up and run with nothing.

MSE avoids all that messy stuff. It just works!

5. DrBenGolfing

Yes, free, light, and hassle free works for me.

6. The problem with Microsoft and Avast having some much % of the AV industry is that innovation is stifled and products don't grow to meet the complex threats we face everyday.

They become stagnant and stale. True innovator's like Sandboxie & AppGuard need to be implemented more in security suites if we have a chance of defeating malware.

I think like many have said virtualization is the future, stuff like Joanna's Qubes project is the shinning light on what can be done.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I can't really say that about Avast V8 and the new "toys" they have started to use at their end with Evo-Gen and stuff, wich have turned out to be a very effective technology from what we have seen of it so far. :)

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No I can't really see a trend since the Free ones have always been used by A Lot of people, and always will be until maybe the day one of the vendors behind a Free AV screws up with a major FP incident, and people will lose the trust they had in the vendor and perhaps move on to another free or paid solution.

Of course this can happen to vendors that only have paid for solutions too, but the impact on the market will probably be bigger if it happened to example Avast or MS that have a lot of consumer users. Though the chance that it might happen is very low since big FP scandals is very rare these days fortunately. :)

In other words the market will probably stay this way, if Avast doesn't discontinue their Free version of course :eek: :p, or a paid for vendor implements a magic technology that beats everything else on the market. :D

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I'll bet that the malware developers are happy that M$ is growing in market share which only increases the attack surface overall for malware since M$ is a synonym for "Swiss Cheese" security - i.e. many security holes yet to patch and growing!

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Does that share from MS include what is bundled with Windows 8?

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The future is probably a walled garden and no antivirus on user side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.