Does anyone know where disable USB legacy support is in the bios?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zoril, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

My computer is a Dell Dimension 9150. I was asked by Acronis tech via support request to disable the above in bios. I can access the bios ok but can't find it. Does anyone where it is?.....................Howard:)

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Under Advanced>Peripheral Configuration.

Blue

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Many thanks for that. My big worry is with the Dell I have only USB ports. I guess it worries me that if I disable USB legacy support that a situation may arise if there is a problem and things don't work out that both my keyboard and mouse can't be used at all, so that I wouldn't be able to get back into the bios to enable again.....Howard

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  4. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

What kind of problem are you having that requires any such dramatic action?

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Frozen mouse/keyboard with rescue disks!

I have tried the usual workarounds re F11 Linux screen and adding line after quiet based on tech instructions. My version is build 937 (for 8.0)...

Howard

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  6. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Your instincts are correct - you should ignore Acronis' advice to do any such thing to your system!

Acronis needs to concentrate on providing FUNCTIONAL software and drivers for popular platforms like Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, and many more as well as the popular and newer chipsets like Pentium M laptops rather than to persist in encouraging their customers to experimentally HACK their new machines in order to run the world's most buggy imaging software, TI9.

Don't get me wrong, I depend on and use my TrueImage 8 software all the time and it has saved me hundreds of hours of time since I bought it more than a year ago. However, I never use my TI9 software because it has never earned even a minimal level of trust as being reliable for drive imaging. It is still plagued by insurmountable defects which prove its unreliability.

That's shameful because it was released almost 7 months ago. Maybe someday it will perform as well as TI8...........:(

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

There was a suggestion from tech to download the latest trial of version 9 which I tried doing, but in all honesty it made no difference re my problem. If possible I would rather stick with the version that I paid for without upgrading, as I bought it under a year ago.

I did make sure that I had the latest build (937) before contacting tech support. Hopefully Acronis will have a new build for version 8 which will resolve the problem, or even suggest some different things to try. What I have done so far is:-

Booted my computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and pressed the F11 key when the selection screen appeared. When I got to the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, I modified it in the following way:
    quiet acpi=off noapic

I also tried:-
    F11 and at Linux Kernel Settings added usbmouse=off at the end
    of the command line so it read quiet usbmouse=off
    I used keyboard to click ok.

The only thing that I have not tried out yet is to disable USB Legacy in bios for the reason expressed earlier... Howard

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  8. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

From what I've read in the past in this forum, disabling the USB legacy support does not affect the functioning of the usb keyboard and mouse that came with the system. At least that's the impression I get. Can someone confirm this?

However, if you have access to a standard PS2 keyboard, disabling the USB Legacy support is worth a try. It has worked for others. If it doesn't work for you simply shut down, connect the ps2 keyboard, boot back up and re-enable the usb support in the Bios.

9. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya:)

The thing is my new Dell computer seems to only have USB ports so I can only use a usb mouse and a usb keyboard!

I just got another email from a different TI technician re support, who said perhaps it may be best NOT to disable usb legacy support just in case (bearing in mind that I only have usb ports). I had expressed my concerns earlier after it was first suggested....

Several new suggestions were made that I will try out. What I will do is to firstly try out the suggestions then definitely add a follow up to this thread (whether they work or not). Hopefully that way they might be of use to anyone else experiencing a similar problem. Perhaps something that did not work for me, may be ok for someone else or vice versa!

N.B. IMPORTANT:- Please do bear in mind that my computer knowledge is very limited! I would not advise anyone to do ANYTHING to their computer(s) without first checking with either Acronis True Image Technical support, or one of the experts in this forum. I am a true beginner re computers...

.........Howard

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I find your situation interesting although I don't imagine that is the term you would use. I had a keyboard (PS2) go bad and I couldn't get into the BIOS so you are wise to err on the side of caution.

A call to Dell might yield some useful info.

11. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

The new Dell desktops are almost all USB-only now. PS2 ports are pretty much dead.

It's never a good idea to disable USB legacy support in BIOS on these systems not only because of the obvious but also because the Dell driver software includes USB and peripheral optimizers which work in conjunction with BIOS settings.

Come on Acronis..... let's get with it for these new platforms. Dell isn't the only manufacturer to dump PS2 for USB.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software and for bringing this fact to our attention.

We will certainly do our best in order to improve the functionality of Acronis True Image 9.0 in the future builds\versions of a particular product so that there will be no need to disable USB Legacy Support option in BIOS settings in order to make USB mouse\keyboard function properly.

For the moment, if you encounter this kind of problem and cannot disable USB Legacy Support option as a possible workaround then please submit a request for technical support describing the issue and containing the exact vendors and models of your computer\motherboard and USB mouse\keyboard along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hello Alexey:)

I already have already submitted a request. The above suggestions were what tech suggested to try. The two most recent suggestions were:-

1.) To press F11 when I booted from Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable Rescue CD and reached mode selection screen (when you select either to boot Full or Safe version). Then it was suggested that I added this parameter:
    nousb1

I had a problem with this as after I pressed F11 I was taken to the linnux command line (the one with the word "quiet"). After clicking o/k, I ended up at the main TI screen where I could reinstall etc? I couldn't see any option for either boot full or safe mode? - nor could I see anywhere to add a parameter. I didn't get a reply back to the email yet that I sent to tech asking about this!

Is it ok to use the ATI 9.0 bootable rescue disk with version 8?

2.) It was suggested:- If the problem still persists, please try booting from the special version of Acronis Bootable Rescue CD. You can download its .iso file using this link:- (i'l not print it as tech support may not want the link public). If it is ok then I am sure anyone from Acronis reading this post will print it anyway...

There was also a link on how to record a CD with an iso image, and a few suggestions where to get the freeware tools (Snapfiles). This was not too difficult to understand even for me and if I can as a relative novice the majority of you most likely will also.

I did create the special acronis bootable rescue cd that seems to work at a lower screen resolution then the regular rescue disk. Sadly as yet my mouse problem is as yet not resolved, so I am a little unsure as whether to continue to use the special cd, or the normal one with the keyboard. Is there much difference between the two?

All the best,

Howard

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Howard,

Tech Support must have missed the fact that you're using TI 8 rather than 9. So, boot from the TI 8 rescue CD into the Linux kernel command line by pressing F11 as soon as you see "Starting Acronis loader...". Leave a space after the word quiet, add the nousb1 parameter and then click OK to continue booting into TI.

Yes. The bootable rescue CD contains a Linux based standalone version of TI and is compatible with TI 8 image files.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave that to Acronis as they are the only ones who know what was contained in the special ISO image.

Regards

15. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks for replying Menorcaman:)

I will try entering that after "quiet" to see what happens. Hopefully Acronis will come up with a fix or patch for the problem at some stage. I'll report back when I try this out....

Howard

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zoril,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1.) Menorcaman is quite correct as in case of using an older version of Acronis True Image (version 8.0 in your case) you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen advising you to choose either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. That is because Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have such selection screen. We therefore recommend you to try booting with "nousb1" parameter in the way described by Menorcaman and then inform us about the results.

2.) Most likely it was an ISO image of the Bootable Rescue CD based on an alternative loader which is slightly different from that of the original disc and sometimes helps in the resolving this kind of issues.

We recommend you to report the results of your investigation to the respective support engineer so that he/she will be able to provide you with a further instructions.

Please also let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from our Support Team, so we can track the correspondence.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

17. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

After F11 I tried "nousb1" after "quiet" on the linnux screen (without quotations), but found when I got to the main TI screen that both the mouse and the keyboard were frozen. The only way that I was able to reboot was to switch the computer off at the mains:(

The technical support number that I have is Acronis#516623

I did write back a few days ago to the support engineer with a few questions. Hopefully he will get back to me soon, but I do understand that there can be delays re emails etc from time to time. I would hope that if you do come up with a solution that users with V8 will still benefit by having a future build?

I am editing this to mention that tech support was in touch again. I have now sent you the SYSINFO.TXT file. I am very grateful to you all for the trouble that you are taking to try to resolve the problem...

Have a nice day.

All the best....

Howard

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  18. zoril

zoril Registered Member

To close this thread, I am delighted to say that Technical support resolved the problem for me. Whether the same solution would work for others I don't know...

I went to the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, then deleted the word "quiet" and added "usbmouse=off" parameter (without inverted commas) to the kernel command line and clicked on the OK button. I Choose full version (using trial v9 rescue disk). At command prompt (that followed a lot of scrolling lines) I issued the command "product" (without inverted commas). I ended up at the main screen with both mouse and keyboard working well.

I double checked using my other rescue disk which I created from V8 (build 937) and again am pleased to say that I was able to use both the mouse and the keyboard.

Please don't take this post in anyway as advice. As most of you will realise I have a very limited knowledge of computers or Windows. I felt it only fair to finish writing this thread based on what was suggested for me to try by technical support. It may well be that someone else with a different computer or configuration experiencing a similar problem would need to try something different.

Many thanks to everyone who posted, helped, or offered me advice - especially the Acronis staff and technical support re emails. I am very pleased that this issue is now resolved for me.

Howard:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.