Does anyone know if Chrome or the Chromium browsers have been modified to be compatible with Tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 5, 2014.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Chrome or Chromium browsers have been modified to be compatible with Tor, i.e. Tor objectives regarding privacy?

My specific interest is in determining whether the pepflashplugin-installer is compatible with Tor by not revealing private information that adobe flashplayer is reputed to reveal when used with Tor.

-- Tom

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. lotuseclat79

About the only near answers to my question were from searching for: Chrome | Chromium at tor.stackexchange.com, i.e. not yet.

-- Tom

4. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

If you want to use Chromium or Flash through Tor securely, I would use Whonix, you can install whatever you normally would be able to in Debian but everything goes through Tor

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Minor quibble: with Whonix, everything either goes through Tor, or it doesn't go anywhere. Tor doesn't handle UDP. That's not a bug, by the way, but rather a feature (design decision).

6. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

Well Chromium and Flash will work through TCP just fine...

Skype or some other VOIP may be a bit more problematic but I'm sure that there's some work around, it might just make things choppier. I really don't know of anything else where not having UDP is any problem

7. lotuseclat79

Going through Tor is not a panacea to the problem of not revealing privacy information revealed by Adobe's Flashplayer. We all know - ;) ;) - that Tor traffic gets scraped by 3-letter agencies. As long as your privacy information is not revealed - that would be ideal.

The main interest would be to be able to use Flashplayer without revealing the privacy information while using it, i.e. indicating modifications to fix those problems in a version of Flashplayer. While there is gnash, and at least one other flashplayer out there, they may not play everything Adobe's Flashplayer can.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.