does anyone here have a NAT Router?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm going to buy a router but it seems alot of them are wireless, i don't use wireless. if i get a wireless router can i disable the wireless bit and just use wires instead? thanks.

can anyone recommend a router i can buy?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Plenty of hard wired only routers available. Linksys are generally my hardware of choice. And yes, most routers can have their wirelss ability disabled through the User interface.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, ThunderZ. i was thinking of getting a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL because they come with Linux installed so you can upgrade and hack them. the thing is they are wireless. it's not a big problem but do you think the wireless can be disabled?
    http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=linksys wrt54g

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I have a WRT54G and it is a great low cost router. I have thibor's firmware, so it now has the same boost speed as the speedbooster :cool:

To get a linux running version, either look for a WRT54G v4 or lower, or look for a WRT54GL(the L stands for linux)

DO NOT get v5, it runs on another firmware which is not nearly as good, or customizable, and the unit ships with less ram and processing power.

For firmware, check out thibors, openwrt(if you are good with command line), and DDWRT.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I run the WRT54G with wireless. WPA is enabled using a 63 random generated key. The network is visible to "drive-byes"....but would take a long concentrated effort to crack. Go to the Linksys site> http://tinyurl.com/phvut. Pick your product(s) from the drop down and then download the manual in PDF. Should help you make your decision

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.