Does anyone have the shield randomly turn off

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by cheater87, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

It randomly happens not often but its kinda annoying.

2. dog

dog Guest

Considering that you've already mentioned that they are numberous Admins on your system ..... Are you sure they haven't disabled any of the shields before we proceed further with this thread. :doubt:

3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Can you please try to monitor when this happens? Thanks!

4. GullMoli

GullMoli Registered Member

Yeah it has been happening to me and i'm the only one using the computer.. About 2 or 3 times in 5 days.

5. cheater87

im on my new computer im the only admin sorry i forgot to say that

6. gryffandor

gryffandor Registered Member

I am also having this problem since going from 3.5 to 4.0 I am the only user on this system & it happens usually while the system is turned on, but not being used. I often find the guard has turned off overnight.

7. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

It has happened to me a couple of times recently, and I am more and more convinced that it is caused by ZoneAlarm 6.5

Does anyone else here experiencing this problem have ZA 6.5 installed?

8. namraw

namraw Registered Member

I have the same problem intermittently. I am using a trial copy of the software and it has happened about 4 times. I am using Kerio firewall so Zonealarm not a definite cause.

9. t bone

t bone Registered Member

i just had it happen after a spysweeper scan

ran a full spysweeper scan...took off for a couple hrs. when i came back ewido resident sheild was shut off.

i also use kerio and nod32

i'll let ya know if there are any other times it shuts off

10. GullMoli

GullMoli Registered Member

I'm using the free ZoneAlarm 6.5 firewall and Avast home. And i updated from 3.5 to 4. Maybe it's just the trial version that's bugged:/

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have been using ewido 4 since April, from beta to final, and never see the guard shut down on its own. It is a combination of KAV, Outpost, Ewido, A-Squared, and CounterSpy.

Is it possible that the guard was forced to shut down by some spyware, instead of turning off by itself?

When I tried to kill the guard in Task Manager, it was protected and cannot be killed.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wel teh guard doesnt shutdown, it simply becomes disabled (gray icon). since several people have had it happen, im not too sure about putting the blame on malware.

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

So it means the guard is still running despite the colour change? Hm...maybe a linkage bug between the status and the running of the guard then. My icon never turns grey.

14. t bone

t bone Registered Member

i forgot to mention..i have v4.0.0.172 full

15. WSFuser

i should be more clear with teh wording. i meant the tray icon remains but the guard is disabled. also disabling teh guard has no effect on the ewido service.

when u said shutdown, i thought you meant the icon is gone.

16. drn

drn Registered Member

I run two computers side by side. One machine has MS Windows XP SP2 Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.66GHz. 512MB RAM RADEON 920.

This machine would randomly cause ewido 4 not to start, and turn off the ‘start with Windows’ setting. Deleting a tray icon for MS Money stopped this happening. Ewido 4, will still randomly ‘grey out’ with ‘resident Shield’ turned off.

The other machine: MS Windows XP SP2 Intel Pentium 4CPU 3.20GHz. 1.0GB RAM GeForce 6200. Is rock solid.

We are talking about 12-14 hours a day looking at these things, the machine that ‘greys out’ the icon is always idle when this happens. Say two times in a 12-14 hour period.

Experience: Started in 1980, software support, beta testing, repairing computers at component level. In my spare time actually getting to use the things. Tired, very tired, grey beard, the traditional ulcer, and a very short fuse!;)

Works fine on the main machine, life is too short to chop all the software off the other machine and work out someone else’s problem.:D

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I had the shield deactivate on me a while ago, I was installing a rutine update for something I can't remember what. It deactivated all by itself. But I turned it back on, it hasn't turned off by itself since.

18. peter.ewido

could someone please export HKLM\software\ewido anti-spyware when this happens again? of course before re-enabling the guard :)

19. WSFuser

ok i have the registry file. what do i do with it?

20. peter.ewido

Can you please send it to our support with a link to this thread? Thanks!

21. WSFuser

ok ive sent the file to support. i hope a solution will be found.

22. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

It happens with me too, and sometimes I have to re-enable the start with windows option again.

23. cheater87

i just go and turn it back on

24. thiobas

thiobas Registered Member

I am having the same problem.

Running ZoneAlarm and Avast

Icon turns from orange to grey and then I manually need to turn Resident Shield on again.

25. jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers Registered Member

I had posted here awhile back about these issues, i.e. the resident shield turning off (turning gray), and the "start with windows" option becoming unchecked. These things both occurred while using the trial version of 4.0. As soon as I upgraded to the paid "b" version of ewido, I have not experienced these problems.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.