Does any one know?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by yankinNcrankin, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Hello, I have a situation where my friends pc is unable to boot. She wants to do a clean install and has her windows cd to do it. Before she does this she needs a easy way to get access to her HD and transfer her personal data to a USB or be able to burn it to disc. She doesn't have access to another computer. Is there a free tool that can be booted from a CD that would help? Preferable not BartPE as she had a hard time understanding the creation process. I'm asking here 1st rather than having her pay for a software that I know can do it. I appreciate anyone that could help thankyou.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Knoppix CD

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

4. yankinNcrankin

Thank you Meriadoc and zapjb I appreciate the information. :)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you use a linux livecd make sure it automounts windows partitions otherwise you'll have to work out where the windows partitions are then manually mount them, which could be difficult if you don't use linux.

i think knoppix automounts ntfs and/or fat partitions, i haven't used pclos though.

you could check the latest linux magazines for a livecd instead of downloading something too.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i asked on the pclos irc and i think it can read ntfs partitions, but not write to them. and it doesn't automount, but all you have to do is right-click on the c drive and select mount, and you might need to give the root password which is root!

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

In PCLOS it automounts the drive when you click to open it, you don't need to do anything other than that.

yankinNcrankin, Linux LiveCD should work fine moving files to USB or burning CD/DVD :)

[edit] could also use the LiveCD to make a backup partition (FAT32 would be best) on the HD and move things over to that.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

9. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes that would work fine, some of us look for opportunities to spam promote Linux :D

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Shhhh!!! :D

Btw PCLinuxOS is recommended.

11. yankinNcrankin

Thank you Iceni60 , FastGame, MaB69, and zapjb.
    One quick question, while helping my friend out we are using pupy linux 2.16 sea monkey and I dont get how to burn files to dvd? I can easily copy them over to my USB protable but dont understand the idea of burning them. Reason is its not as simple as select the files like in windows and send to dvd burner I'm still playing around with this lol. Thanks for the help members. :thumb:

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.