Does Acronis True Image V8 support dual-boot Windows PCs?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BobCrabtree, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobCrabtree

BobCrabtree Registered Member

I can't find anything in the manual or this forum about whether or not Acronis True Image V8 supports dual-boot Windows PCs.

Could someone tell me if it does and, if it does, explain the best strategy to backup and restore a dual-boot system?

Bob Crabtree

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Yes, you can backup and restore the dual boot system. We need more information regarding your setup. Are the both operating systems installed on the same hard disk drive? Are they installed on different partitions or not? Do you have any other hard disk drives besides the system one?

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. BobCrabtree

BobCrabtree Registered Member

The dual-boot PC has a single IDE boot disc (120GByte), with four partitions.

First (for 98SE) is of 5.5GByte, with 0.9GByte free.

Second (for XP Pro) is of 12.9GByte, with 1.33 free.

Third (for XP Pro's swap file) is 2.93GByte with 2.16GByte free.

Fourth (for XP Pro's programs and data) is 93.3GByte, with 7.34GByte free.

In addition there is one other small IDE hard disk (two partitions, total about 20GByte), plus three large-capacity (120-200GByte) external hard disks - two FireWire and one USB 2.0.

It would be possible, if necessary, for me to swap out the small IDE hard disk and put in a 120GByte replacement or even a 200GByte drive.

But, given a choice, I'd use one of the external drives.

I'd like to be able to backup the two boot partitions and the data/programs partition, but not the swapfile partition.

Bob C

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Dear Bob,

Acronis True Image will create the backup of your two system partitions on the external hard drive. After that you will be able to restore these partitions booting from Acronis bootable rescue media (a CD or a set of diskettes).

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.