DoD on my VPN??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by philbu, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philbu

philbu Registered Member

Hi,

I just set up a VPN client in XP. After I log into my host on Vista machine, I open XP's View Network Connections > right click my VPN > Status > Details tab and in the list of Device Name, Type, etc there are 2 at the bottom: Server IP Address and Client IP Address. They both pointed to the DoD Network Information Center in Columbus, Ohio.

OK, so now why is that?? :mad:

thnx much

phil

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. philbu

philbu Registered Member

Sorry, don't bother scratching your heads. It's likely a DHCP issue that returns 169.xxx addresses - curious that on the first occurrence of issue the ip addresses traced to DoD, but subsequent tests show various 169.xxx with no connection to them, sooo :oops:
    admins feel free to delete this thread, thnx

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i've seen the Exact same thing in the past, MANY times & similar .GOV etc IP's. But funnily enough they seem to have dissappeared in the last couple of years ?

I wouldn't automatically dismiss them though, as you never know. I'd keep an eye on your logs, & if you visit www's the .GOV etc might not like, then use a Proxy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.