Doctor Web, Ltd. launches beta-testing of a new generation anti-virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Honyak, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I haven't tried the beta yet but if the hanging while updating is fixed, I am glad to see it.
    That issue annoyed the hell out of me.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i never noticed that even with 4.33 released version, was it just for poor machines or is it slow internet or is it a mixture of both?

3. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

It happened on one of my setups with 512mb RAM and 8Mbs broadband connection so I don't think my setup was causing that problem in my case, maybe different for others though

Londonbeat

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

1024 MB Ram, Athlon XP 3200+, 10Mbit line; noticed the update "stutter" as well...

On topic: The new detection system gives a set of false positives in Acrobat Reader 8. Time to notify DrWEB support! :)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah there are more FP's but im sure thats why its in a beta.

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I'm sure that's indeed why it is in beta :D

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

It has nothing to do with machine type(s) or internet connection, it was the way Dr Web applied the updates from auto update part of the program.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

"It will detect already known false positives
    because the correction records are removed from virus bases for
    testing time."

so this is why there are more FP's with the origin, just for testing.

dr.web ask for origin files to be submitted for analysis, as this is basically what the testing is for.

9. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Think it might be more clear with this response:

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Isn't this was we already know -> heuristic technologies ? :blink:

find samples similar to samples which already dispose in the virus base = find new variants of already known viruses o_O . . . . :D :D

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep it is heuristics, just better ones. :)

looks like kaspersky isnt the only company improving heuristics, but ours is already 'quite good' at 34% i think :)

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Each and every company working on the good site is trying to improve their products to catch new malware faster , which is very good ! :thumb:

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep it is good when you see or hear of upcoming improvements,

im like a little kid at christmas for this v5.xx of dr.web,with the better technologys, faster scan and different GUI, its all good for the future, i trust the doctor :)

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think dr web 5 should be great.
    im guess dr web cureit will use the version 5 faster engine, new interface and better heuristics?
    lodore

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

for all my many faces, Dr Web is the one that I currently have the most comfort in. But CSJ already knew that.:)

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

*laughs* :thumb:

17. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have discovered a problem with the newest beta, at least a problem on my system. The system idle process, with the beta installed, uses roughly 75% of my CPU resources. This happens all the time unless it is uninstalled, then it is fine. This is a real bummer. This combined with the already existant memory issue leads me to believe that Dr Web is going in the wrong direction. I'm wondering if I can use it now.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think everyones machine is different, i have used many many AV's (mainly suites) and my system idle is always high no matter what i use, but i know its not any higher by using dr.web than another, and i dont even really know what it is, windows for ya i say.

its says its high, yet my system performance doesnt change or anything, so no idea what it means.

19. n8chavez

That's interesting. I've never had a problem with that before, not even with the non-beta Dr Web. But for some reason this version has that issue. For instance NOD32 does not have this issue.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i found this:

A collection of useful resources for determining and dealing with the source of high CPU usage problems, which cause the system to become unresponsive either intermittently or continuously. Note that the System Idle Process is supposed to have a high CPU usage rate at idle. This process accounts for unused system time. If your system is responsive and the System Idle Process CPU usage is high, then you do not have a CPU usage issue.

well, it sounds right for my machine, its high and still super fast, so no problems here.

also you may read this: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000729.htm

its all normal, so dont worry and its nothing to do with dr.web

hope that helps.

note: mine is in the 90's and when i defrag, system idle stays at 0% until there is nothing left to do, then it shoots up again.

21. n8chavez

Thank you for doing that research for me. Itwas helpful. I understand that the sysytem idle process is supposed to engage when the system is, well, idle. That's normal. But what I'm saing is that it is engaging itself when I'm using my system, which is not normal. This causes everything to lag because other processes do not have access to the processor. Does that make sense? I have not had this issue before installing the beta version of Dr Web.

22. SSK

SSK Registered Member

My machine has a very high system idle process as well. I know nothing else except that this is normal, that a low system idle process means something is "sucking up" CPU cycles...

EDIT: OK, I understand from the above post that something is lagging your machine. But the high system idle process should not be the culprit, me thinks...

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no idea, i dont think its a dr.web issue as i have no problems here running the same version, seems to be working tip-top here.

system idle goes to 0% when doing something.

try defragging / running a registry cleaner and opening your emails at the same time, while watching your process manager if your really worried about it.

if it was dr.web, one of the dr.web modules would be showing high cpu.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Of course by no means, am I ready to ditch the avatar.;)

25. n8chavez

I don't mean to say that it is directly Dr Web's fault, it may be the result of something Dr Web is doing indirectly. This wouldn't be the first time Dr Web has done something like this. For instance, on my machine Dr Web has a weird memory issue where things are inflated, as ahas been discussed before, but it seems to alter things in a way where the page file is used less often; things are dealt with more in physical ram and not virtual memory. That just seems to be a quirk of Dr Web's. Perhaps this is another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.