DocScrubber Question

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by aline, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aline

aline Registered Member

Hi All,

First time poster.

Just installed DocScrubber and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems to be missing some scrubbing.

In the image below, you'll notice that I selected a few options to scub, but after opening the scrubbed document, the info is still there. What am I doing wrong, or am I not looking in the right placeo_O

TIA,
    Aline

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/aline_ottawa/ds.gif

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Aline,

Would you mind uploading that Doc as an attachment to a post if it doesn't contain any personal info. I'll see if I have the same results.

3. aline

aline Registered Member

OK Bubba, but first I'll have to strip it because it does contain client confidential information, and it's 255 pages long.

As a test, I'll make a copy of the stripped doc to make sure I get the same results, and then I'll post.

Thank you,
    Aline

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Wow....that'll probably be to much for an attachment :eek:

If it's still too large for our attachment size....feel free to send it to my e-mail addy contained in my profile.

5. aline

aline Registered Member

I reduced it to about 20 pages. Just the same, I will send it to you to your e-mail. And I do still get the same results as before.

For system info: Windows XP and Word 2002

I used my own template, which you will see in the doc.

Thank you.
    Aline

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/aline_ottawa/ds2.gif

6. aline

aline Registered Member

How do I attach the doc? When you said to your e-mail, did you mean private message? If so, I can't find a doc attachment icon.

Aline

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No....I meant my e-mail address which I'll just go ahead and post below.

bubba AT wilderssecurity DOT com

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Aline,

I have received your e-mail and the 2 files....Thanks

With DocScrubber I Analyzed your testds.doc and via the program I Saved Log to File. I then performed a scrub of that file....saved it as testds_scrubbed2.txt and saved a log file of it also. Below I will show the before and after of only the 8 items we are focusing on. Also....I'm showing your scrub results to show that only 2 of the 8 items were changed correctly.

before:
    Revision Count: 983
    Total Editing Time (minutes): 9921
    Last Edited By: aline
    Last Saved: 3/12/2006 12:47:00 PM
    Last Printed: 11/30/2005 12:03:00 PM
    Created: 8/15/2005 3:28:00 PM
    Author:
    Company:

after:
    Revision Count: 1
    Total Editing Time (minutes):
    Last Edited By:
    Last Saved:
    Last Printed:
    Created:
    Author: Author
    Company: Company

scrubbed results you sent:
    Revision Count: 984
    Total Editing Time (minutes): 9926
    Last Saved: 3/12/2006 12:54:00 PM
    Last Printed: 11/30/2005 12:03:00 PM
    Created: 8/15/2005 3:28:00 PM
    Author: author
    Company: Company

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Having posted all that....I would ask you to try manually editing some of the 8 items which you should be able to do via the Summary tab. If after editing the items you close down the files properties and then re-look at the files properties....did they actually take ??

I'm attempting to eliminate whether this is a DocScrubber issue or a file ownership\policy restriction on your end issue :doubt:

10. aline

aline Registered Member

Bubba,

Here are my results:

1. Opened Word and manually changed some properties. This image below is before I saved the doc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/aline_ottawa/properties_changed_before_closing.gif

2. I saved the doc, closed Word, re-opened Word and the entries are accepted. See image below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/aline_ottawa/properties_changed_after_closing_re.gif

3. The log below is before changing the properties in Word.

Title: user guide
    Author: aline
    Company: company name
    Created: 8/15/2005 4:28:00 PM
    Last Saved: 3/12/2006 5:35:00 PM
    Last Printed: 11/30/2005 1:03:00 PM
    Revision Count: 984
    Total Editing Time (minutes): 9924

4. And this log is after I changed the properties.

Title: user guide
    Author: myauthore
    Company: mycompany
    Created:
    Last Saved:
    Last Edited By:
    Last Printed:
    Revision Count: 1

5. The log is displaying OK, however, when I reopen Word, I still see the old settings on the Statistics tab. She Summary tab is OK.

6. The next thing I did is look at the .doc properties through Explore. And the results display OK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/aline_ottawa/properties_through_explore_after_sc.gif

So it seems that it's on the Statistics tab that it's not changing. Am I maybe missing a step? I'll try to experiment with another document to see if I get the same results.

Let me know if you required more info.

Aline

PS. I hope I didn't get the images mixed up above. Guess I'll know when I submit.

11. aline

aline Registered Member

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just so I understand and do not assume wrongly....all those tests were made by you manually and the only involvement with DocSrubber was to analyze them and you it's Save Log to File feature :doubt:

13. aline

aline Registered Member

Bubba,

In my last test post, where you see testauthor and testcompany, I changed those entries through docscrubber. Is that what you were asking? I still have the logs of before and after.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ok....let's forget DocScrubber for a minute. What I was wanting you to try which I attempted to explain in post #9 above was for you to attempt to change those 8 settings manually....forgetting about DocScrubber for a minute.

If you go to Windows Explorer to the location where this test doc is....right click that file and select Properties. With the properties open select each of those 8 items and make a change. Once you have made the change select Ok which will close that properties window down. Then re-open the properties again of that file and look at those 8 items again. Did the 8 items actually change ?

the 8 items to change:
    Revision Count:
    Last Edited By:
    Last Saved:
    Last Printed:
    Created:
    Author:
    Company:

15. aline

aline Registered Member

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll have to holler uncle given I have no more suggestion. I am still not convinced of a few things in regards to DocScrubber not changing the items but since I have no other suggestions all I can ask is that you let us know if you figure out what is preventing some of these changes Please.

Regards,
    Bubba

17. aline

aline Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Don't know what else to do. I'll keep on testing with other docs.

I think I had previously given you my system configuration. I guess the only thing I had not mentioned is that I log in as Administrator, but I don't think that would make a difference.

I'll d/l scrubber on my desktop and see if I get the same results. My desktop had Windows XP Pro. My laptop has the Home edition.

Could other types of programs be preventing the proper scrubbing o_O

In the meantime, wishing you a Happy St-Patrick's Days :)

Thank you.

18. aline

aline Registered Member

Re: DocScrubber Question... results from desktop pc

Hi Bubba,

Just wanted to show you my results from my desktop pc (as oppose to laptop). I thought maybe because I was using a customized template that I wasn't getting proper results, but you'll see that this doc uses the normal.dot. Furthermore, I did not have ownership of the doc. Comes from linksys.

My desktop uses XP Pro, and Word 2002.

In the image below, you'll see my log before and after scrubbing and the properties from Word:

And this is the summary from Windows Explorer after scrubbing:

If there is something else you want me to test, I'll be more than happy to do so.

Thank you for your time.

Aline

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2006
  19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: DocScrubber Question... results from desktop pc

Thanks aline but "I'll have to holler uncle given I have no more suggestions".

I would however like to make sure about your post # 18....are you attempting to show that DocScrubber was succcesful on your desktop :doubt:

20. aline

aline Registered Member

Bubba,

If I'm supose to see (or not see) the old summary in Word after I scrub the doc, then no, it was not successful. If you look at the screen shot in post 18, you'll see that Word still shows the original summary after I scrubbed it.

Thank you,
    Aline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.