Do You Use Windows Event Viewer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by plat1098, Aug 29, 2016.

?

I Consult Event Viewer

1. Frequently

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Sometimes

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Almost Never/Never

21 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Do you find Event Viewer to be a valuable tool? Have you ever been alerted to a significant issue with your machine by consulting Event Viewer, even though nothing seemed out of the ordinary?

Example: On a new machine with Windows 10 freshly updated, I happened to check EV and there were numerous, numerous WHEA logger (correctable) hardware warnings under System, even though the machine appeared to be running very well, with core temperatures in the normal ranges. Shortly afterward, the motherboard failed. I couldn't prevent it, but at least I had some inkling beforehand. I look at Event Viewer several times/day--for me it's been a good source of nip-it-in-the-bud issues.

Do you mostly ignore the errors and warnings it may contain? Do you think certain kinds of errors should be ignored or do you try to fix them yourself?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I only take a look at Event Viewer or very rare occasions. I guess there's a lot of useful information there, but I've never taken much notice, even when diagnosing problems with my computers.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I check it based on need, not based on any schedule.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Sometimes to rarely at all.
    This.

5. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Rarely. AppGuard uses it instead of a plain text log, so I have no choice but to use it when required.

6. guest

guest Guest

same here.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

A few times in the past with Vista as a diagnostic tool, but my knowledge is too limited to interpret its information.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I check Event viewer, usually once a week. I've created some custom views (for SRP events and failed logon attempts...) so I can easily see if there is something suspicious happening. I use it on Windows 7 so log might be different than on Windows 10.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If my computer is working flawlessly, I could not care less, though I have met several people, who even reinstalled Windows because of event errors. Well, whatever makes them happy. I have tons of errors daily, mostly caused by me, the best one is unexpected shutdown, my PC turns off within 2 seconds. :D

Attached Files:

10. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Sometimes. :cool:

11. Fad

Fad Registered Member

"frequently"

I also use MyEventViewer from Nirsoft for a quick check.

I also clear it regularly with a batch file to make it easier to quickly spot alerts.

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just downloaded it and I think I will find it useful. I like how you can filter event types, e.g. to only view errors.

13. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Same here, but will check out the nirsoft app :)

EDIT: I looked at a few errors and have no clue what they mean

examples...

Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

No, because I don't need it, and the GUI sucks, just like about all of the M$ tools that come standard with Windows, think of Resource Monitor.

15. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I use it everyday. I like routines and part of my routine is to open it after starting the computer and before turning it off. The result for doing that is a clean Event viewer.

Sin título.jpg

What you see there is all I get on a regular everyday basis.

Bo

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have used it many times in XP, but it is more advanced and complicated in Windows 10...At least it seems to me.

ScreenShot_Event Viewer_01.GIF

17. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Only when there is a problem with the OS, app, crash etc.

18. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yep, same here.

19. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Not really.

20. Fad

Fad Registered Member

@Overkill

I used to get similar errors (the type you show in spoiler 3)
    I can`t remember exactly what event ID errors they were now - but I had to install a "Microsoft Fixit" patch to stop them appearing.

If you want to research further, have a look for Fixit 50531 and possibly also Fixit 50688

They MAY be related to your problem. (you need to check for the Event ID numbers)

21. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I also have a problem with figuring out what a lot of errors mean. Sometimes you can get caught up in trying to fix some strange errors and end up doing much more harm than what the original error was doing. Still, I think it's a useful tool, it's caught some silent but significant issues now and then.

22. Overkill

Thanks Fad, my machine runs fine so should I really go deeper or just ignore the errors?

23. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Fixit 50688 (mentioned by Fad) is designed for fixing WMI Event ID 10 in W7. I seen that warning the times I have refreshed or first booted the two W7 laptops that I have owned. Reading what you wrote about the events you see, this particular fixit is not for fixing any of them. If you have a W7 with service pack 1, then fixit 50688 would help you get rid of the event described in the link below as is likely you are getting it. This fixit has been taken down by Microsoft.

So, if you have a W7 and you get an Event 10 warning every time you reboot the computer, I can get you a copy of this fixit as I kept one:).
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545227

For the ones you describe, search Google the Event ID number and the Source.

Bo

24. Overkill

Thanks Bo, i'd appreciate the fix

25. guest

guest Guest

I use the Windows Event Viewer sometimes but it needs time to load. So i use other tools (see below) where i can set a specific interval: "Show only events from the last 2 hours", so it loads much faster.

There's a tool from Nirsoft: "FullEventLogView", that display's much more information than the old tool "MyEventViewer":
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/full_event_log_view.html
    With it i can now see entries from Applocker for example (and all other entries from the category: "Applications and Services Logs"). These entries were not shown with the old tool.
    If you were using "MyEventViewer" before, have a look at "FullEventLogView" ;)

If you want to see a list of all your event-logs, disable/enable them, set the file-size, etc., there is another new tool: "EventLogChannelsView"
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/event_log_channels_view.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.