Do you use real time Anti-Virus protection?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mike21, May 17, 2010.

?

Do you use real time Anti-Virus Protection?

1. Yes!

232 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No, just on demand.

77 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Yes but not always enabled.

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

what sort of protections did he have in place in lieu of having no AV in real time? I very rarely dl files, have all the apps I need installed, and I use LUA & SRP. I cannot infect my virtual machine even if I deliberately try to. So considering that, plus that I rarely if ever dl anything, and even if I do I can on demand scan it with tools or online with virustotal or something similar, and I find the constant reads/writes of an AV app wasteful and performance hindering, its a complete waste of time to folks like me. Considering how easy AV's are bypassed, how do you not know your infected?? j/k

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There is not any reason, why you have to have it as well, if you can not get infected. It is pointless just like systray updaters or other useless backround software.
    It is actually better to scan with various ondemand AVs than to use just one brand realtime. And as you pointed out in 3, AV can even not detect rootkits and such.
    Anyway, it is also about risk assessment. What would happen, if I would get infected? Nothing, I would just do a clean instal and my PC would be working in ~3 houres.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Once a month, I use several On-Demand Scanners to check my System.
    (e.g. HTP, MBAM, EEK, SAS, F-Secure Easy Clean, AVZ, GMER, UnHackMe, Teazer Rootkit Razor etc.)
    They have found Nothing.
    Since 2007, I've used a Sandbox (e.g. Sandboxie OR DefenseWall) together with
    either Instant System Recovery Software (e.g. Rollback Rx, EAZ-FIX or AyRecovery)
    OR Boot-to-Restore Virtualization Software (e.g Shadow Defender or Returnil).
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

4. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

He was using Comodo at first then he had problems with it and changed to Online Armor, then he had some issues with OA and changed to Malware Defender. For some reason he settled Privatefirewall + Avast and that's what he uses now. It is not known what he as using when he got those infections but he always had an HIPS program running, never installed untrusted software or would let anyone else use his system. All the infections were very easily removed with Avast. There was no telling how long these infections were on his system since he never did any scans more than 3 years. Since Avast detected and removed them all, it proved to him that real-time AV is useful. I can understand why some people don't want to use real-time, but the benefits pay off to a lot of users especially novice who don't know how to use other methods for protection and like myself who is completely fed up with messing with buggy HIPS programs that just causes unstable system state. I keep backups of my system with TrueImage, where I can restore my complete partitions if needed. I don't understand why some users would re-install Windows and have to setup everything from scratch. Not to mention all of those Windows Updates. I never have to do a complete re-install of Windows.

Thanks.:)

5. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

interesting, thx. I've always wanted to research how easy it is to bypass HIPS but haven't had the time. HIPS seem to be more for intermediate to advanced users, wrong settings or answers to pop-ups can be costly.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I don't surf naked.....:D

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yeah, my pc system is guarded by a robot and his name is Eset NOD32... :D

And also, my system was surrounded by a layers of bricks and it was called DefenseWall Personal Firewall...:cool:

Just in case viruses try to slipped thru by means of USB flash drives, then another highly trained x-marine guard will intercept them...and it is called USB Disk Security..:D

Real-time Anti-virus and scanners, even if some pc experts says that it's already dead and are obsolete...still it's one of the most important first line of defense especially to average cyber surfers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Yes

and No , for my old Pc which cant handle the pressure now :D

10. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

never only on demand and never catch a big one ;-)

11. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Yeah. Always have.

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Trying out real time Anti-Virus protection again.
    Currently with Avira AntiVir Personal Free.
    So far so good,no slowdowns or conflicts.

13. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Yes. Using Avast 6 Free. Avira is good, but far too many false positives. I dumped NOD as it also started giving me too many false positives.

I've heard that there is a Free Norton AV ...anyone use it?

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Really? I think you must be the first person I see to have issues with too many fp's with NOD32 hmmm....
    With Avira I can understand but not with NOD32.:doubt:

No Offense ;)

15. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

No offense taken! :) Also, since Eset (IMO) started bloating NOD more and more after v2.7 I started looked for another. Now I could back off the heuristic scanning a bit with NOD and not get many heuristic false positives, but I got frankly tired of reseaching/ then restoring. Avast now uses less resources than NOD (configured in basic format anyway), so I changed 'horses'. ;)

I think like some others - I probably don't really need an AV - HIPS would do, but I scan frequently with Malwarebytes and it finds nothing - so Avast 6 Free is doing the job on Spyware/ malware also - and good enough virus protection w/ little resource usage.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I See. Yes lowering the Heur a bit would certainly make the FP's go away.

Also, for me NOD is the lightest, and when I tried Avast I felt a little drag on the system. But as always it will change from system to system.
    And I would probably test something else if I felt how you did as well.

But soon BETA 5.0 will be released so maybe you will come back then....:D

Edit: I never got the chance to try out version 2.7 of NOD unfortunately, so I can't tell how I would feel about the current version if I had tried out 2.7 :)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only on-demand and no removal (Noton Security Scan). Norton Power Eraser includes removal, but doesn't scan with AV sigs.

That is unless you're into w@rez.

18. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

For those who do run any AV's , how do you know for sure ?

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is true, theoretically malware could install with or without an active AV. Something needs to execute though in order to install, and a virtualizer/sandbox is absolutely necessary for unknown infections.

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes I do. NOD32 and Prevx.

21. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

I have in the past but right now I'm not. Prefer virtualisation and sandboxing at the moment. Still use a bunch of on-demand scanners and other apps. Not sure I'd like to be totally naked :)

22. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

On my desktop I use already makes about 6 months Norton Internet Security 2011, on the laptop I don't usually use anti-virus but now I'm testing the Avast! Internet Security (I earned my license in December) and am liking it a lot!

23. Engineeringfun

Engineeringfun Registered Member

Yes,

Nod32 Antivirus 4.

Couldn't imagine never using an AV.

:)

24. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Yes MSE both 32/64-bit one layer of defense

25. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

no real time AV only sandboxie and applocker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.