Do you use Linux?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pain of Salvation, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Do you use Linux? Which distro? Why?

2. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

I sometimes use Linspire Live (formerly Lindows) only when I need to surf the Internet on someone else's PC, so they can't blame me for any malware infection on their system.

I use linspire because it has similer interface to Windows and it automatically configures itself. I would only use live distro's of linux.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

OpenSuse 10.0, its fast, secure, and free(i use it on my old pc)
    Knoppix, pretty sweet live cd, does almost anything you want an os to do and it is good to carry around in a toolkit for some serious malware infections

Alphalutra1

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I use Knoppix Live CD and also Slax Live CD on occasions where I need a "disposable" system for researching malware or simply using a PC without leaving any traces on it after I've shut it down. I have also used Knoppix to boot a PC where the Hard disk has started to fail and Windows wouldn't boot at all.

I occasionally use it just when I fancy a change from Windows... ;)

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sometimes I will use Linux just to remind me why I prefer Windows.;) :cool:

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

On the other hand..., just yesterday my son's iPod decided to become a nice shiny iBrick. Since it was past warranty, I decided to experiment a bit. The only way I could resurrect it was to use a Knoppix Live CD to boot my PC with the iPod connected via USB and reset the two main partitions on the iPod to FAT32 structure, after that it was a normal restore of the unit followed by a sync. I simply couldn't make it happen from Windows. A nice use of Knoppix for distressed Windows iPod users.

Blue

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will admit that Linux does have it's uses.;)

8. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

OSX Tiger.

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

SUSE or Knoppix - but mostly windows

Live CDs are very useful as part of a recovery toolkit

10. tansu

tansu Registered Member

I run Suse 10 and trying Debian these days. When I need trouble I switch it to Winblows :D :D

11. TNT

TNT Registered Member

The browser appliance in VMWare, but I easily prefer the BSD family to Linux.

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I've got an Ubuntu live CD (with setup), but didn't play around a lot with it yet :). Will maybe install it for good if I can create two bootable partitions on my computer.

nicM

13. sowhat

sowhat Registered Member

I like some linux live cd distros...
    some of them for administration/recovery tasks,others for graphics/video/audio editing.
    What I don't like in linux is it's general inconsistency in documentation/source code compatibility:
    what works in one distro,it might have to be done in a very different way in another distro.
    Meaning,you spend a lot of time searching for hacks,patches and scripts on the net,
    just to make some code able to compile or to get a device to work.
    Unfortunately,I'm spending most of my time in Windows,because of my job.
    To be honest,there's only one OS I trully appreciate and love,
    it's by far what suits at best my needs/point of view in computing:
    FreeBSD:thumb:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i try SUSE every once in a while, but due to some difficulties in getting everything fully setup, i often return back to windows. each time i try suse i do learn something new however. i like suse because it is easy to install (but difficult to fully customize the software package) and it use KDE (i just like crystal icons ;) ) and its updater works somewhat well.

15. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Slackware, because it is the most true linux distro out there, and occasionaly Ubuntu, because it's the best distro newcomer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.