Do you use Linux?

Discussion in 'polls' started by dog, Jan 19, 2006.

?

Do you use Linux?

1. Yes

47.3%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Live CDs only

8.6%
  4. It's something I wish to try ... but I haven't yet

12.9%
  1. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Linux Mint and Debian are my choices lately.

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Slackware since day one.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes...on laptops, OpenSuse, Mint, Ubuntu
    Yes...as my router/firewall. Usually PFSense, occasionally get the latest version of another distro just to try it....Untangle, Endian, etc.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

I use Kubuntu almost exclusively. Windows XP is still installed on my computer but I hardly use it anymore - if I boot into it it's more or less to fetch the newest updates. But I'm heavily dependent on one specific Windows application for which I haven't found a Linux alternative. That's why I use it in another Windows installation running in a Virtualbox VM on my Linux host.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I dual-boot both my laptops now (XP + Ubuntu on Intel-based Dell Inspiron, Vista + PCLinuxOS on AMD-based Compaq Presario), and use both Windows and Linux equally. Linux has really been an eye-opening experience ever since I started trying it a month or so ago, but my interest in Windows remains undiminished, not to mention that I still need it for games.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Do you use Linux? Yes

If so what Distro? and Why? PCLinuxOS - The out of the box experience. And the fabulous forum support.

How long have you been using it? About 3yrs. But I took a 10mos break in there, so 2yrs+ really.

What percentage of the time do you use/boot into Linux when using your PC? Well now I'm just getting back into Linux. So about 30% of the time. And my laptop has a ATI vid card so the graphics aren't as good as Nvidia. So watching movies & such I go into my Vista64 partition a lot. If there was a excellent driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 card I'd use Linux almost exclusively.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Yes I use Ubuntu on my laptop.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, Debian Squeeze.
    Waiting for KDE 4.3 to change desktop.

And i agree with ThunderZ, this poll is getting really old heh.

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Arch Linux : Took a while to get it up, and now its sprinting ;)
    Also instant-on Linux OS: Linpus Lite.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL see post no4 in this poll.

Yes: Wolvix, TinyMe, PCLOS, Arch, CentOs :thumb:
    Testing for about 18 months
    % = 95 for personal

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Ubuntu x64 rocks, waiting for version 9 on April 23.

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Linux exclusively. Ubuntu 8.04 and PCLinuxOS dual boot. I have Ubuntu because that was my first distro and it has never given me a reason to drop it. PCLinuxOS because it also worked out of the box on my system. Have also tried Mepis, Zenwalk, and Wolvix. DreamLinux on deck.

13. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

After trying several LiveCDs, I settled on Linux Mint about a week ago and I love it. If it weren't for the sake of literally one or two programs that I can't get on Linux (a decent binary newsreader and being able to use Photoshop), I would use it exclusively. Haven't managed to get it working on my laptop yet due to the notorious hassles of finding the right wireless driver, but if I can find replacements for the two programs above, then I'll make the switch for good.

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

:thumb:

Never had a reason to try it,as I've never had any problems using Windows,so no sense in changing.

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You mean other than the fact that you're actually proud that you can use five or less security programs on Windows?

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I've been used Kubuntu, and Linux Mint too. I stopped, because I'm not interested to learn Unix and to use shell to do every other thing more than to browse in internet and to use Open Office. And I'm not interested to flame about it. :D :D

17. demonon

demonon Guest

I dualboot Vista and Ubuntu. I also run puppy linux on a very old rig.

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I have 2 versions of Linux installed but rarely use them. The older versions of Windows that I use serve my needs. I don't have the time it would take to get proficient with Linux and for the most part, I have lost interest in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.