Do you use FREE or Paid Antivirus / Internet Security?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Do you trust free security solutions?

1. Yes, why not? I dont wanna pay

55.5%
  2. No, I would rather pay and get more security

29.2%
  3. I don't use any antivirus / Internet Security

15.3%
  1. Get

Get Registered Member

I voted for "Yes, why not? I dont wanna pay", but that's only because it's closest to my answer. I wanna pay, but don't have to, because avast free has all I "need".

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Right now I don't need all the bells and whistles of paid AV to have them is nice but it is not necessary and free AV has improved. I trust free AV, there are times when I want the bells and whistles.

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I don't use any Antivirus/Internet Security software. Stopped using such software years ago. I'm relying on Sandboxie at the moment.
    If I had to pick an antivirus, it would be free, as I don't find them inferior. Quite the opposite actually.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Used avira free for years then switched to avast!. No complaints so far. In fact, in all the years of computer use, I have been infected only once and that was with Windows 98.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

No real time antivirus since Dec 2010. No on demand scanners since Dec 2011. If I was to use a real timer, I would use MSE in W7.

Bo

6. I don't use AVs on Windows; generally prefer (freeware) FW/HIPS, which are the closest thing on Windows to a lightweight MAC framework. For convenience, I use learning mode, and avoid installing any software I have reason to distrust. I do use Hitman Pro for on-demand scanning though, in concert with Sysinternals tools (Autoruns and Process Explorer).

Thus far I've had no cause to buy the payed version of any firewall; the extra features just don't strike me as needed. If I did have to shell out for one payed application, though, I'm pretty sure it would be Sandboxie. I don't think any antivirus can even come close to such software.

BTW, while I haven't been infected in quite a while, I haven't spent much time on Windows in quite a while either. So don't assume I'm doing things right! :p

7. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Free AV here.
    The bells and whistles can be found somewhere else (for free as well).
    I do understand those who pay to keep software alive, I wish I could do the the same.

P.S. The questions/options on this thread could be better phrased.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use Roboscan Internet Security Free. Just what I need, no more no less.

OT. Why would one/I pay for say B***Gu**d Internet Security? When it uses the BD engine just like RIS. PM me if you'd like so this doesn't get lockedo_O

9. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Because:

1) I've never heard of Roboscan in all the years that I've been using a computer (16 years)

2) Roboscan doesn't sound very trustworth just by its name, more tlike some spam company (no offense)

3) I see BullGuard in the AV Comparatives Tests amongst the top contenders, why isn't Roboscan even mentioned? hmmmmmm same goes for MSE ;)

10. encus

encus Registered Member

I don't want to risk the security of my system so I took the paid one if you know what I mean.

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Bullguard has the outpost firewall.:thumb:

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

free right now. Kingsoft has excellent detection and is very light. Why pay for something.

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

How light are we talking here im thinking of running it alongside comodo.:doubt:

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Desktop = No free or paid Antivirus / Internet Security. (Other paid security measures in place)
    Wife's laptop = Paid Internet Security
    Smart Phone/Android = Paid AV/Security

16. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Usually, I use none or the free Microsoft Security Essentials. In one machine, I decided to give a chance to the paid Webroot SecureAnywhere (I got a 6-months license for an awesome price: $0). It's simply great.

17. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I'm using KISS 2013 thanks to an offer from a good brother who had no need of his. However, when the lic. expires I'll feel just as secure with AVAST free in my Siggy instead of KiSS.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  18. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

anything free on the anti-virus topic or free in general of late seems to me like free spy-ware,ill pass.
    still looking my self for something decent on this topic and it really seems hard to find.:cautious:

19. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I wouldn't mind paying for AV if it wasn't a rentware. Unfortunetly almost all AVs are rentware so they get none of my money.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm not big on subscription-based software. My little copy of free Avast has watched over me effectively for some time now.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

How are products like MSE, AVG, AVAST and Panda Cloud "spyware"? If you're talking about web shields and such technology, well, the paid ones have the same thing and they all work the same. Web shields have to have some idea of where you go on the net, otherwise they really wouldn't work at all.

22. jo3blac1

I wish avast had 3 options:
    Free - basic defense whatever we have right now
    One time fee - additional defense (maybe sandboxing..)
    Subscription - all bells and whistles

23. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The free version does have sandboxing though. And, unlike the BB, it actually does work.

24. jo3blac1

My point is that while I will NEVER pay to rent software, the AV companies could still get some money out of me if they offered extra features for one lifetime fee.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I understood your point. :) I don't see lifetime licenses for AV software anytime soon though. It's too much of a cash cow to do that, plus lifetime licensing is not all that sound of a practice to begin with and I don't think that way of doing business will go on for many more years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.