Do you use a Secondary Browser and if so...Why?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Tyrizian, Jun 19, 2013.

?

Do you use a Secondary Browser and if so...Why?

1. Yes I do, Let me explain...

67.4%
  2. No I don't, Let me explain...

27.9%
  3. Other...

4.7%
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I've heard it's good practice to use a secondary browser, but I never got the logic behind that

Why is that?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yes, IE10.
    As for why . . . IE download manager is a LOT better than Chrome IMO.
    Well, to be honest it was better a few years ago and after all these years i got used to download things with IE but im not sure if its still better than Chrome though. :D

3. Tyrizian

I've heard using a secondary browser for security reasons is a good idea (Banking Only, etc), would you have to agree?

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Not often...but on occasion...there might be a "problem" with one browser that doesn't affect any other browsers. I haven't had this happen in a while...but at one point, I remember I couldn't open and use Internet Explorer, but I *COULD* open and use Firefox to access the web. Just from those one or two experiences, I've always been of the belief that it is best to have more than browser on hand...just in case you have to rely on one as a "backup" of sorts.

Also - and I'm not sure how relevant this is these days either - but I remember at one point some web pages were only available in a shortened from, but could be viewed in full form in a different browser. I believe I'm thinking of a time a decade ago or longer during the days of dial-up and in particular IE and Netscape Navigator. I doubt that this would be the case these days....but since browsers are free, and there's no harm...I say "why NOT have more than one?"

5. Tyrizian

Those are all good reasons to have a second one on hand.

Oh man, I miss Netscape Navigator

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I use Chrome almost exclusively, I have no other browser installed. Very rarely I use IE for websites that still don't open properly with Chrome or in the rare event of a bad Chrome update (it happened twice). If I had to abandon Chrome, IE would be my choice anyway.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have Chrome as my default browser, and Cyberfox as my secondary. If I should be experiencing a problem using Chrome, like slow web site access, I will switch to Cyberfox to see if the problem is with Chrome or some other possibility. Occasionally I have switched browsers as default just for the change.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I like back-ups. As I never use IE I am either in Maxthon or SeaMonkey. I have Firefox as a back-up back-up. just in case. It's so totally logical Mr Spock would agree. ;)

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

There's always SeaMonkey.

10. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Only Firefox

11. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Secondary browser! – hell, this poll is somewhat restrictive for me as I use 5 browsers!

My multiple browser usage developed naturally over a period of time – as I use Sandboxie - I got sick of enabling\disabling Javascript\Cookies, reconfiguring Noscript, etc, and ended up separating browser usage into the function each browser was used for:
    Eg;
    Firefox
    Default browser - used for general 'roaming' – no sites configured.
    Palemoon
    Used to access my pre-set information type sites (forums, PC mags, info sites, etc – some 50 or so)
    Seamonkey
    Used specifically to download software from pre-set sites such as Softpedia, Major Geeks, Filehippo, Filecluster, Freeware files, etc.
    Firefox Portable
    Specifically setup to access less sensitive login sites.
    Icedragon
    Used only to access my online banking site.

Probably over the top for most – but it suits me just fine. ;)

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Internet Explorer 10 for compatibility. It's also there by default, and a pain to completely remove (virtually everything else w/o their own rendering engine that browses the Internet uses its components). So I just keep it hardened.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As a rule, I don't. Unless absolutely necessary, I stick with just one.

14. Tyrizian

Currently, I do the same.

15. x942

x942 Guest

Two

Firefox - Locked down and for 90% of browsing.

Chrome - For flash or when pages don't render properly in firfox do to security add-ons (ala noscript). Only used on trusted websites and vetted links.

16. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'll use IE as a backup for:

1. The occasional site that gets broken by an extension or something and I don't want to bother figuring out what's blocking it.

2. Flashing my router's firmware. I often have a bunch of tabs open in my main browser and I don't want them trying to connect at the same time.

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

IE10 and Opera.

Always handy to be able to check in another browser if it is ''indeed'' a site render issue.

18. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I find that sometimes I have to use IE to view certain sites with Flash videos that don't work properly with Firefox.

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

My second browser is Internet explorer: I " hate " it, but I must use it - and only for this - to update manually windows.

20. Creer

Creer Registered Member

My main browser is Chrome, second one is IE/DW browser for online banking.

21. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

No I don't

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Interesting approach. At some point in time I used that same approach, but in the opposite order.

Chromium - Locked down and for 99% of browsing.
    Firefox for the remaining 1%. :D

Nowadays, I just use two Chromium profiles.

Wouldn't, from a security point of view, make more sense to use Chromium/Chrome for most of the browsing (and locked down as much as possible), and then use Firefox for the rest? :D

P.S: I hope no one will come after me with a bat... :argh: :p ;)

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's just false sense of security, IMHO. I suppose the idea would be to have both open, and not compromise the one used for banking that fast? lol

Otherwise, could a person just use one web browser, but with two different profiles? You could even copy and past the browser's main executable, rename it, and use that one for on-line banking and restrict communications to the bank's domains and IPs.

Wouldn't that be as efficient? lol

24. Creer

Creer Registered Member

My second browser for online banking has defined in Firewall several rules so I can connect only with IP addresses which provides selected bank website.
    Also DW Browser has built-in several security features which helps too.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

On Win I use Safari for everything, and IE8 while banking or buying stuff online. :) And if a site looks weird or fails to load then I might try it in IE8 as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.