Do you use a sandbox?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Dec 14, 2011.

?

Do you use a sandbox?

1. Yes, Bufferzone

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Yes, DefenseWall

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Yes, GeSWall

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Yes, Sandboxie

96 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. Yes, other stand alone sandbox program (please state which)

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Yes, included in my av/suite (Avast, Kaspersky, other- state which)

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Nope

54 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

sandboxie & comodo.........

2. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Only 7 people use Defensewall? :eek: I thought it was one of the most respectable security apps around here. And zero for Bufferzone o_O

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Returnil System Safe Pro of course - why sandbox individual applications when you can put the entire System in a virtual environment?

4. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon,

I just voted 'nope' and would ask you - why a virutal environment (eg., Returnil) over an ISR (eg., Rollback Rx)? ;)

Scott

5. Coldmoon

Don't get ISR (Instant System recovery) confused with image restore. That is what the virtualization in RSS/RVS is all about - restoring the system to the way it was just before the VM feature was activated by not allowing any changes to effect the real system. With imaging, the entire (or target) disk is simply overwritten with the state recorded at a specific time period.

While I do use and recommend imaging; for most scenarios ISR is more appropriate in both time savings and scope. It is also more useful for new to average users in any environment as all the user needs to do is shut down the computer, restart it, and then go on about their business. An image restore is both more complex and time consuming which makes it more of a last ditch solution rather than a "do this first" type of approach as with ISR.

6. Scott W

Sorry Coldmoon, but I don't see where your reply is responsive. I'm not confused about the different technologies, I just happen to find an ISR (Rollback Rx) more suited to my needs than a light-virtual app. such as Returnil.

Happy new year,
    Scott

7. Coldmoon

Hi Scott,
    I wasn't attempting to be circumspect. Returnil is what is traditionally considered an Instant System Recovery solution as it is designed to "instantly" restore the system at restart of the computer. RB RX is actually more complex in that it also is capable of creating and maintaining images which is a a different technology entirely.

This is why I thought you were confused regarding the terminology or confusing the technologies in general. RB RX is more appropriately compared to solutions like ATI, AY-Recovery, CTM, and others in that same space while RSS/RVS are more comparable to DeepFreeze where the virtual mode component is concerned.

8. Scott W

Coldmoon, I strongly disagree with your categorization. I believe that Returnil belongs to the class of Light Virtualization apps whereas Rollback Rx belongs to the class of Instant System Recovery (ISR) apps. I do agree with you in that the underlying technologies of the two classes of apps are completely different and I happen to prefer ISRs (as I see them)! ;)

Scott

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Yes, I use avast! Internet Security which, as stated, has a sandbox built in.

10. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

Yes Sandboxie is my first line of Defense, Untill DefenseWall comes out with 64 bit version

11. TigerRaptorFX

TigerRaptorFX Registered Member

I have Avast Pro set as my primary sandbox with custom settings. Comodo sandbox is set to manual so I can use D+ HIPS at its fullest.

12. guest

guest Guest

No or actually very, very little
    my first line of defense is a clean image
    I believe this to be the most powerful
    line of defense you can have

13. nune22

nune22 Registered Member

Yes, Sandboxie for browsing

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yes, sandboxie and wsa safestart

15. x942

x942 Guest

I use Arkose on linux for sandboxing some apps within the current OS. I also use VM's for web browsing and banking to completely isolate the two, the latter can't access any sites BUT banking sites.

I have used sandboxie on windows many times. Truth be told re-imaging a HDD every day would be the most secure, but it's a PITA.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

still using sandboxie and wsa's safestart......with them I'm pretty safe......

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i use sandboxie although if defensewall ran on 64bit i would definately try that.

18. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Sandboxie free. :cool:

Works great and didn't slow down my browsing, lighter cpu load, and no problemo. ;)

Just tweak it more by following some easy instructions of some posters here in this forum and you're safe. :thumb:

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

voted no.
    i used to use Geswall, Defensewall and Sandboxie.
    they're all great products.

these days i rely on Chrome's sandbox to help contain the bad stuff should it happen.

20. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Same here. :thumb:

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Whenever I am browsing, opening Emails or any program that I normally use, its always done under Sandboxie. If I catch myself opening something out of the sandbox, I feel like I made an error.

Bo

22. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Usability and flexibility IMO. Is much more easier to sandbox only the browser and removable devices; and be able to install, update programs, etc., without the need to reboot every time...

23. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Very true. Usability, convenience is really what makes sandboxing the better option, for every day usage, IMO.

Bo

24. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

For me it's about convenience and modularity.

Using Sandboxie I'd rather malware be contained in the individual sandbox a particular internet facing app runs in, and for PEs to not be able to run at all with the simple whitelisting and access restrictions.

System virtualisation would be handy for containing network worms though.

25. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Sandboxie Paid, it's probably the best utility/security tool I've ever owned and one I wouldn't dream of doing without.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.