Do you trust Team Viewer?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnikf, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Team Viewer is a great tool, but at the same time it's the ultimate trojan horse if used the wrong way. And the best thing is that we install it ourselves and it's there in front of our eyes the whole time.

It's very convinient to leave it constantly on, so just in case you need your PC when away, you can log-in and do your thing BUT what if...?

I suppose the technology behind TW can allow anyone from the company severs to get into anyone of the users computers that have left TW on?

Does the company/people behind TW has any history that will either make you trust them or the other way around?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You can search for TeamViewer 8 exploits. I did a while back, and didn't find anything.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/products/security.aspx

https://www.teamviewer.com/images/pdf/TeamViewer_SecurityStatement.pdf

You can also combine it with LogMeIn (Hamachi) and set it up to accept only LAN connections. So nothing can even connect unless you're at home or on the road and using Hamachi.

PD

3. er34

er34 Guest

Technically speaking, this is possible. But it is also possible with pretty much any other software that has Internet functionality, or even Ammyy Admin, LogMeIn, etc...

It is more if you trust this company or not.

I rarely use Team Viewer or any other similar software but I never use it on my computer for always-on access. Big companies/enteprises use mostly Microsoft's Remote Desktop or Citrix solutions.

It depends on you :thumb:

4. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Ok so is there technically a way for the company to enter into user's computers?

5. PaulyDefran

I've already mentioned the LAN connections only, and approval required for connection options...but the only way for an unattended access machine to be "gotten into" by TV, would be if A. There was some sort of backdoor. Or B. The password that *you* set, is somehow transmitted back to TV. This would be suicide for a commercial company. Barring a backdoor that bypassed all the security options, I don't see how using a NeoRouter/Hamachi/VPN connection with "LAN Connections Only" and a user set pass phrase, can be compromised. I don't *know* for sure, but some things I *won't* use, like Skype...but I have TeamViewer set up on my server...

Edit: It also logs all connections as well.

PD

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

The problem with Teamviewer is that there is not pear to pear encryption
    You make an encrypted connection to their TeamViewer host and so is your other party.
    Everything that is visible by both parties is possible to see by TeamViewer.
    And nobody knows what else is gathered and send encrypted to TeamViewer during the session.

The fact that you can use it for free, is for me a reason not to use it when privacy is important.
    How many people are using it and how many are licensed users?

7. guest

guest Guest

I am using Teamviewer (free, not paid) to do maintenance work on computers of relatives who can't do that themselves and need help. I don't trust the vendor completely, so I won't ever use the "talk" option they provide. Instead I prefer to talk via Skype etc. while being connected. Also I would NEVER install Teamviewer as program/service, I am just running it if I need it. And the other side always uses the "quicksupport" program, so there is nothing installed on their systems also. You never know who is watching what you are doing, but since I only need that to do updates or sometimes problem fixing I have no problem with that. Having that said I trust them enough to use that service. It's so easy to use and just works.

8. PaulyDefran

In the white paper, 70% of all connections *are* peer to peer. They use RSA PKI and the Private Key never leaves the client machine. I think they are a German company, so they write a little sparsely when translated to English. They say they can't read the traffic that other 30% of the time. I think an email would clear it up. It doesn't matter anyway if you use "LAN Only" and use a VPN like OpenVPN, Hamachi, Neorouter... TV is in an encrypted tunnel and it *is* a direct connection then.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.