Do you 'trust' Microsoft???

Discussion in 'polls' started by theblade, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Do you trust Microsoft???

1. Yes

95 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Undecided

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Not at all, prefer other OS or always prefer 3rd party software in Windows

35 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. theblade

theblade Registered Member

Do you think Microsoft is shady or are you reluctant to use Windows & Windows components and try to stick with 3rd party tools as much as possible? For instance, use FF or Opera, 3rd party Firewall, would never use MSE due to distrust in Microsoft, etc?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I haven't had any serious problems using their stuff.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I've been using Microsoft's Operating Systems, the core of a PC, for many years now. I do trust them, infact I trust them even more now that they are putting such a focus on security.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Of course Microsoft is not shady :shifty: There core OS is Good, but they did need help from the NSA on the OS security. It doesn't hurt to have a extra pair of eyes or six to make sure nothing happens that shouldn't happen. That said they're OS is a copy machine and I wouldn't put MS One Care on any of my computers because Micresoft just might have gotten paid to leave out a spy-ware definition or two in their "One Care" Anti-spyware, but that can happen to any spyware software company. The more 3rd party party software the better.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've been using Microsoft operating systems exclusively since 1992, but along with IE 7 and the XP firewall, that's about it.

I don't use Outlook Express or Windows Mail.
    I don't use Windows Messenger (or any other instant messaging application).
    I don't use Office.
    I don't use Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I don't use Microsoft's Malicious Malware Remover Tool.
    -Or Windows Defender during those rare times when I'm using Vista or W-7.

6. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I think the question is somewhat ambiguous. Do I trust them as a company is different than do I trust that all of their products are perfect or free of security issues.

7. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Totally agree since company is so diverse and multifaceted. Needs to be more
    specific. Microsoft (and others) are also constantly trying to expand (evolve?)
    in many areas.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Did not completely trust them before but compared now to "Google", they are saints :p

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm still undecided. We'll see what happens after the ballot screen I suppose...o_O

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Which was forced upon them because of whiners (Opera and various other companies) and a need to further careers (the EU government officials). So I'm not sure I'd use that to decide whether I trust them or not. Do I trust them? Not really. It isn't because I think they are nefarious, greedy and out to stab their own users in the back (that would be Google). I simply don't trust them because I'm not sure how to trust a company that has handled security so badly, that they have to have a day out of each month set aside just for patching.

11. guest

guest Guest

I don't "trust" on anything. That's why I always backup.

But, because of the usual quality, I try to use Microsoft products whenever possible.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Silly, of course I trust them. If I didnt, I wouldnt use them. Silly

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I think you need to put things in perspective. In Ubuntu, for instance, it's not unusual to have to download 100-200 MB worth of patches one month after every new release.

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't use:

Outlook Express and Windows Mail
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft's Malicious Malware Remover Tool ( nothing much useless: closing the stable door after the horse has bolted )
    System Restore
    Windows Firewall

Except the OS and Office, I use third party softwares, especially for security.

15. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

trusting for more than 9 years;)

16. Daveski17

To be fair, I can see Opera ASA's point of view as MS have not been totally honest or fair in many of their business dealings & have tried to squeeze out other manufacturers with devious & almost illegal practises. It does seem a bit like whining on Opera's part though.

It has turned out to be a bit of a non-event. You don't have to have the ballot screen if you don't want it. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster! :D

I think that it is the trouble with having monopolies, whoever they are. Competition is usually good for the consumer.

Come to think of it, why is there only one monopolies commission? LOL! o_O

17. theblade

theblade Registered Member

I posted this poll after reading numerous posts from people about how the windows firewall is trash, even if MSE tested better than any other AV they wouldn't use it because they don't trust Microsoft, Richard Stallman was a programmer that helped create Linux and he has said that Windows ships with Backdoors already in it, people say WGA is spyware, DRM issues, etc, etc, etc.

MS is always under a microscope and many of the people who seem to distrust Windows the most are Windows users ironically.

18. Daveski17

It's probably better than nothing though.

I don't trust MS that much but I'd give MSE a spin if I needed an AV.

I can believe this, I am not sure exactly why they would do this however.

I think that it does border spyware in many respects.

Ironic certainly, but probably economic as well.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Point taken, but, really, how much of those are not only security related, but critical? There's a difference between bug fixes and flat out wide open holes in the OS. Also, does Ubuntu or any other distro constantly churn out patches, or do they toss all their bug fixes together soon after release and be done with it (unless they find out later they missed something. They are human)? I certainly understand they all need patches, nothing is ever airtight and perfect.

But, there's again quite a difference in one batch of patches soon after release for a system that relies mainly on a more closed environment (by that I mean the repositories that people SHOULD use), and having to take a day out of every month to supply a never-ending flow of mostly security hole patches in a system like Windows where there isn't a more "controlled area" I guess you could say to run the system and get files.

I'm not sure that made sense or was even relevant to the discussion, but there you are.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Windows firewall has come a LONG way, IMHO. Is it the best thing since sliced bread? Not really. But it certainly can get the job done. As far as MSE, I'd rather not rely on Windows updates to keep my AV updated, and, at least for me, it was quite sluggish. I don't know why the Windows backdoors idea refuses to die, but I'll give it credit for being a hardy little conspiracy theory. Well, not QUITE conspiracy. I don't believe in any "backdoors", but, the raw truth is the intelligence community knows Windows and every other OS inside and out. So, if they want in, they're getting in, backdoor or no backdoor.

I'd also agree that Windows users are the most distrustful of Microsoft. It kind of sucks to read about a new vulnerability that they have known about for 6 months or longer, and, as soon as the story breaks, they pipe up with the standard "We're working on a patch" reply.

21. Daveski17

I know quite a few people who will be relieved to know that.

Good point! :thumb:

LOL o_O I love a good conspiracy. I have no idea if it's true or not but it must say something that there are so many rumours of this kind about M$.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I dread Patch Tuesday (or usually Wednesday by the time we get it this side of the pond) & I make sure I check all of the updates before I install them.

22. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Do I trust Microsoft?
    As a company, I trust that MS will use whatever means are necessary to control and dominate as much of the market and internet as possible. I trust that they'll try to portray themselves as a green company while their planned obsolescense policy continues to make perfectly good hardware obsolete, much of which becomes toxic waste. I trust that they'll do everything they can to make it difficult for users who don't want to buy every new OS they release.

As for the operating systems and software, I don't trust MS to make anything secure. I wouldn't use it without 3rd party security apps.

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, completely. Easily the most successful and popular American enterprise in the world. For some reasons their success is never rewarded with benign comments: it is often criticized, castigated, reproached for all the ills of the Internet by the same crowd who keep using their systems shamelessly.

There are very good alternatives, but oddly enough, MS still has 80% of the market.

24. Daveski17

I don't think that it is as simplistic as that. MS have dominated the market by a variety of ways, not all of them benign.

Such as? Apple? Linux? Most people have learned about computers on MS & don't want to spend money on a computer they may find difficult to use. Apple computers are often very expensive outside of the Continental United States & Linux distros can have WiFi connectivity & compatibility problems.

What about the fiasco that was Vista? Why didn't they wait until they had fixed it then release it? Even as Seven was virtually ready to ship they were still recommending people to upgrade from XP to Vista.

When I bought my present laptop it would have cost me over £75 on top of the price of the computer (nearly 20% of the retail cost of the computer) just to 'unlock' MS Word. At the time that was a lot of money for me & I could have bought a much more powerful computer if I had spent that on top of what I paid for the laptop in the first place. For around £300 more I could have bought a Macbook!

Needless to say, I use Open Office. Microsoft have not liked making Word documents compatible with that either.

MS has 80% of the market at the moment but I think that they know the world & the Internet are changing. I predict that they will (& in fact are) starting to lose that lead now. When I eventually get around to setting up my desktop it will run Linux (probably Ubuntu).

Microsoft don't like a level playing field, & to extend the sporting metaphor, it's just not cricket!

25. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well i have become so use to windows that i've stopped looking for other gates :p err...doors

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.