Do you trust a TPM (Do you use it)?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DavidXanatos, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Hi,

I'm looking forward to encrypt my Laptops's new drive and I'm looking for what software should I use best.
    As its a Windows 7 Enterprise unit with a TPM chip (it's a Lenovo x200 Tablet) Microsoft's TPM based Bitlocker is an obvious option.
    The other option would be Drive Cryptor (preffered) or True Crypt.

My question here is the following how far would you Trust the TPMo_O

For me its a quite disturbing thought to trust a peace of hardware to that extent.
    Is it just my paranoia or are there any good reasons to distrust this TPM thingi?

On a side note: I'll most likely go for Drive Cryptor anyways as its afaik the only one that supports remote booting over PXE.

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Use both. The TPM will help protect the machine when you are not around (specifically, it helps prevent the evil maid attack). But I wouldn't trust it completely -- I would still use third party open source encryption for some important files.

The problem with hardware, is there's no telling what sorts of backdoors have been installed, and there's little chance of disassembling it to find out. Besides, TPM has already been cracked (admittedly a very hard crack to pull off).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.