Do you think McAfee security products for Home users are worth it?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Aug 16, 2012.

?

Do you think McAfee security products for Home users are worth it?

1. Yes- please mention why

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. No- please mention why

78 vote(s)
    90.7%
  1. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Mcafee products are worth codswallop ! People have Mcafee installed because its bundled with lots of laptops like dell,

For a real antivirus i would recommend ESET

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Amen :thumb:

I voted no for many of the same reasons already posted here. McAfee has never been a reliable antivirus on any of the computers and laptops it has come pre-installed. It's detection is fairly low and there are better products to choose from.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I voted No

Why?

It let's too much slip through

Why buy a product that doesn't protect you? It's seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I forgot to vote the first time posted here.
    Voted No. :D

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

To keep it simple: No!

6. Intel wouldn't buy them if they were "crap". It's a decent product for new people to PC's. Sure it isn't the best but it's not the worst and now Intel own's them watch this space.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right. Noobies will gain experience diagnosing why their PC has slowed to a crawl, and then trying to uninstall it all so the AV of choice can be installed. :D

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wait WHAT!?!
    Were you referring to me?
    Hahahaha just kidding. Actually McAfee comes pre-installed in one of the laptops i own, the first thing i do every time i restore the factory image is uninstall it. :rolleyes:

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

He was referring to lot's of you, Noobies.:D

You could just uninstall McAfee the first thing after buying a new laptop and then take an image of the system. You could use that image as your factory image. No need to uninstall McAfee every time you restore factory image.;)

10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

A knowledgeable user could effectively use Mcafee, I think? To be honest, I would only use it because their icon is pretty cool looking. However, I am willing to give it a real shot. :cool:

11. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

It's not any better than free AV products, so I wouldn't pay for it even if it did work properly.

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

There are many average users out there running "weaker" security products such as McAfee and CA that manage to not get infected often. Common sense 3.0 must be an excellent addon. ;)

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The only reason I ever ran McAfee was that it was free from my ISP. I had no real trouble with it (unlike Norton). It did its job; but it was very heavy on my notebook. Eventually its need to update (DAT) every time I opened the lid of my notebook coincided with a load of other updates & caused me some problems. So it had to go. I don't use AV suites of any kind now. I'd rather use McAfee than Norton. There again, I'd rather walk up the M6 with nails in my shoes than use Norton again.

14. encus

encus Registered Member

I don't think so. Total slow down to the system!

15. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I had over a year left of a paid subscription and I dropped it after a reinstall. Running the scanner would over work the CPU to an insane level. I wouldn't touch McAfee ever again.

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i voted no.

i don't think a home user need to or should pay for computer security.
    that should be provided by the OS itself.

17. er34

er34 Guest

In the business, McAfee is still considered as good product. However, I wouldn't use it myself neither at home, not in business. McAfee home products are complete junk - they were and they are - full with unnecessary stuff.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I can get McAfee for free from my isp and bank and I still dont use it.

Mcafee provides one update a day which is crap from a paid product and Doesn't provide very good protection IMO. I have rescued multiple of my customers from infected computers using McAfee and they haven't been infected since switching to a different vendor.

A company with the resources of McAfee and owned by intel should be able to produce a light product which provides reliable protecion but so far they are making a crap product and hoping people will buy the product because of the brand name.

19. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

No. In my (mostly subjective) opinion:

The best "overall" deal for home users is currently offered by Symantec, as its Norton 360 product is currently ranked by most testing labs among the very best performers in any of the four most important aspects home users should look at when buying a security suite (low impact on system resources / strong protection / usability / rich feature set for the price):

Symantec Norton 360

But for those home users who value low impact on system resources way above everything else, Webroot currently offers the best deal:

Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus

For those home users who value strong protection way above everything else, Bitdefender currently offers the best deal:

Bitdefender Total Security

For those home users who value usability way above everything else, Microsoft currently offers the best deal:

Microsoft Security Essentials

And, finally, for those home users who value rich feature set for the price way above everything else, Kaspersky currently offers the best deal:

Kaspersky ONE Universal Security

Remember: this is, of course, only my humble opinion!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

McAfee is costly software that doesn't really provide the value for money that other companies do (even if you find it cheap - just about any security software can be found cheap). It's not a bad product IMO but I see nothing in their products that would make me want using McAfee instead of something else. It's not the lightest, doesn't have the best support, doesn't have the fastest updates, not the best detection rate, a mediocre firewall, etc.

It's okay in the sense that an average guy might think I'd go with this, but if I'm shopping around, it's simply not what I'd pick.

Personally speaking, each person has his or her own idea of the best product, but IMO BullGuard is a good middle ground between simplicity and high protection rate (Note: I'm not using BullGuard).

21. Daveski17

I switched from BullGuard to Norton because it was free with my ISP. I thought it would save money (as I needed to renew BullGuard, which was actually a pretty good AV suite).

It is the biggest mistake I have ever made. Norton let a trojan onto my notebook & gave me so many other problems every week I don't know why I put up with it for so long.

Later my ISP changed to McAfee. I tend to agree with you; McAfee isn't bad, it is just a bit heavy & mediocre. I could still get McAfee free from my ISP if I wanted. It would be a last resort however. I would never use Norton again.

22. What you will see is Intel working AV software into the CPU's architecture. I believe Haswell or Broadwell has new AV technology integrated.

McAfee isn't bad as I said, it may be bloated sure but it's not bad.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

When did that happen? :eek:

24. Daveski17

Well, I replaced McAfee with MSE & have been running that since about August 2010. So I'd say it was about a year before then or so.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have never seen ANY other security product slow down a PC as much as McAfee... I would never use it again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.