do you really need TDS-3 and wormguard

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by jymmyp, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jymmyp

jymmyp Registered Member

Hi. im new so im not sure how this all works,my question is if you are using
    TDS-3 and anti-virus,and firewall do you need the wormguard thanks for your time. :doubt:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Jymmyp and welcoem to the forum!
    Each program has it's own specific main function, and for WormGuard that is stopping worms, malicious scripts, HTA files and all you add to it yourself.
    It has extra options to let you look inside stopped files so you can still decide to alow something to run or not, you can block specific script types without crippling your system with uninstalling the windows scripting host or decide to allow certain scripts ------ since these days lots of emails and sites contain unexpected scripts really a very necessary extra tool!
    These days i would add everyuthing available to keep the system nice and secured.

Have you tried italready?
    And don't forget Port Explorer, to see what is connecting, an extra very strong protection against trojans and worms in action!
    And if you're on win2000/XP/NT don't forget the ProcessGuard to protect your system from the deepest kernel level!
    Enjoy all the good stuff! (lots of very fine free tools too there!)

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi jymmyp, welcome to forums from me also. :)

You are already on the way to good security using FW, AV and TDS3.

As Jooske says, having WG to block worms specific, scripts, etc. is another layer of defence.

It will also alert on "tricky" ways people may get you to try to open an attachment and causing a nasty to run.

eg: You may receive attachment saying look at this picture... and all you see is

funnypic.jpg

where in reality it may be:

funnypic.jpg [lots of extra space here] .bat which is really a .bat extension, not jpg and running it could infect your machine.

There are other script blockers, etc. out there of course, but you asked about WG specifically.

See what I mean in attached pic, about above example with this test file I have, and the alert it will give... you can even see the extra spaces I have in it before the .bat extension in the top line of alert.

WormGuard lays dormant, not a running process, so no RAM being used, but it will jump up on anything it's designed to block/alert on.

HTH with your decision. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

4. jymmyp

jymmyp Registered Member

Thanks for all the help,i guess what i should have asked is, having already installed AVG,TDS-3 and a firewall what more do i need?i have just sunk a small fotune on a new computer and want it as secure as possible without going bankrupt, again thankyou for everyone,s time in helping me with this
    there are so many things out there to choose from i really dont know what i do or dont need. Jim

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You made the right start i think.
    There are several recommendations in the forum, depending on personal taste and your system.
    XP systems should look for all the DiamondCS stuff, including the free tools to add to a full layered protection.
    Your first attention should go to ProcessGuard i guess.
    At a certain moment you will see AVG as an extra second opinion to scan on demand with and have other protection for the viruses for instance with KAV or NOD32 to mention a few very good ones. they work very fine together with TDS and the other programs.
    Then have a look at all JavaCool's programs to protect you from spyware, browser hijacks and lots more.
    Beside that have the scanners Ad-Aware and SpybotS&D for the scanning for adware/spyware.
    Which firewall did you choose? ZA free is nice, Pro is much better, Kerio and others i see mentioned and people very happy with them, i've no experience with those.
    So you can build on security and detection as much as you want.

6. jymmyp

jymmyp Registered Member

thanks i will check these out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.