Do you really need antivirus software for Linux desktops?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 17, 2015.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Very well stated :thumb:

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I've had good personal experience with BitDefender. Other options include Avast, AVG, and Comodo.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK thanks.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I'm using (on some VMs) the Eset AV, though my understanding is that it's mainly about scanning files for Windows malware which could then get distributed elsewhere. I don't feel happy about having it because AV is an issue in its own right (does it transmit urls back to base and so on).

I'd love to have an easy-to-use and update Grsecurity/Pax system with loads of working Apparmor profiles. But I've found Apparmor hard to live with, and by comparison with Sandboxie on Windows, much harder to deploy to a wide range of apps in practice.

For that reason, I'm getting very interested in Firejail, which is currently being discussed in the thread below. It's pretty easy to apply basic protections, and relies on native kernel functions (so pretty cross-distribution friendly).

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/firejail-linux-sandbox.369309/

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I have been using linux for well over 8 months now and i have never had an antivirus installed at all.Everything which i would need is in the official repositries,

Everything on my computer is updated and i browse on regular and safe sites so why would i ever need an av...?

6. Daveski17

I tend to agree. I also use NoScript and other browser hardening (Firefox) on Ubuntu.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

im actually using ublock with chrome and it does have script blocking functionality incorporated into and it works just fine.

8. Daveski17

It sounds like a good solution. I'll have to experiment with ublock on Chromium.

9. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Kaspersky has a Linux solution. Kaspersky has been using Linux for their CD tool to disinfect Windows machines as well but this says nothing about their ability to secure and keep secure a Linux machine.

Another thing to think about and was mentioned slightly is that besides viruses there are additional kinds of Malware that need to be addressed. Perhaps some of the Malware that affects Windows would not need to come under consideration for a Linux machine but there are security issues as well as privacy issues that should fall into this discussion. We would not care for software that likes to phone home with any information for example. This is done routinely via programmes on Windows that are not considered Malware even.

Lastly the ability of any Linux software that claims to prevent Malware attacks needs to be scrupulously tested by more than one third party lab. It has been shown that by simply changing the name of some Malware used for testing Linux those Malware were not caught by any Linux anti-malware programmes. Since then there have not been any testing of Linux-based anti-malware of which we are aware.

Best regards

10. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I agree, however I use the built-in firewall on Linux.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I also agree. Of course the AV vendors want you to think you need it...

12. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.