Do You Need KAV's Proactive Protection if you have Online Armor

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by profhsg, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I've been giving KAV 7.0 a try. I find it pretty good except that when the Proactive Protection module is enabled, it drives me nuts with dozens if not hundreds of pop up dialog boxes (from scanning other posts in this forum, I'm not the only one who finds this infuriating). I have the paid version of Online Armor. Does the Proactive Protection module of KAV 7.0 really add any significant protection to the behavior blocking of Online Armor? If not, I can simply disable KAV's proactive protection and be rid of those #### popups.

Thanks

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

if you use online armor i think you should disable Proactive defense module. both of them are HIPS.

3. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

It may seem a little strange to post an answer my own question, but I thought that readers might be interested in the following from Mike Nash of Tall Emu (makers of Online Armor) posted in their forum last October:

Delgado wrote:
    I'm running Online Armor with my separate copy of Kaspersky 7.

Is it necessary to have Proactive Defense switched on in my Kaspersky 7?
    I wouldn't have thought so, as surely all other defense is taken care of by Online Armor. Please clarify.

Very Happy

I wouldn't personally run the two together - but there is no harm in doing so if you don't mind double the popup messages.

Doesn't exactly answer my question--does KAV proactive add anything to OA's behavior blocker?-- but it is useful information.

4. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

Firstly, I tried OA with KAV 7 some time ago and i disabled KAV:s PDM because personally i think it doesnt add anything more that i need. However, your needs might be different. I also used them together with PDM activated and it was pure agony. KAVs PDM went wild.

Secondly, i think Mikes answered your question. It is very hard to answers that kind of question because it comes down to personal preference.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I don't know about OA seeing as I've never used it, but simply disabling Application Integrity Control stops most of the annoying popups. The other popups from ApplicationActivityAnalyzer disappear after a few days of adding them to exclusions :)

6. subset

subset Registered Member

No, you are not the only one. :D
    I am using KAV/KIS for years and actually I don't even think about installing Proactive Defense, because it drives me nuts too.

I hope that version 8 offers something more useful.
    Maybe more like OA HIPS, BTW I found this in the Kaspersky forum ;)
    "Something like Online Armor popups could be cool:"
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=51522&st=20&p=465681&#entry465681

Cheers

7. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I have tried together KAV and OA.

But than I chose to stay with KIS.

Suite integrations gives less popup and save times too.

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.