Do you need any AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also feel more and more that sandboxing and virtualization make AVs redundant. Whether you are infected or not who cares, reboot and it's gone.

Still if you want to save something from your session how are you going to determine whether it's infected or not? People say use your brains... With rootkits?

I'm still using an AV because it is the only way to check if something is there. If it misses, well bad luck, but you might not know you are infected for a long time, and giving enough time all good AVs will eventually detect the new nasty.

Are all AVs impacting your machine so noticeably?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One of the things I've recently learned, in trying to isolate a problem, is the only to be sure something is a problem is to get it off the system. That's why I've taken AV"s and AS's off completely. No realtime, no scanning, by by. It's working well.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

On this system stress thing, I thought I had a Vista slow file copy issue. Turns out my AV was scanning inside of a program installer file that had many objects inside when I copied the file. Vista highlighted the problem as the time calculation box did not close until the scan was complete, a behavior that appears to be different from XP.

See this link for an example of AV drag on system peformance:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186331&page=2

I don't consider it to be definitive, and its quite possible KAV benefited from istreams, which I believe resets after each update.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  4. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

It costs me nothing to have a resident AV particularly a free one. Nuff said.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sure it does. System performance. May not matter to you but it is there.

6. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

How much performance degradation are we talking about here? I am currently using AVG and while its not perfect, I can still play online games and get my work done. I am certainly not going to be scanning while playing or doing some crucial work but I don't need to shut it down. With most AV you can control when it should be scanning which I will do when I'm out for lunch or doing something else. The overall my point is that having it is not that big of a deal.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If users have found an antivirus program that works for them, they should use it.

There is absolutely no reason not to use any antivirus program that may stop malware, if the antivirus program runs well on your system.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.