Do you miss Win98?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigbuck, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Then you are among the fortunate because it happens every day..and too often unless you have it set for reboot on error and still I see people reformat/reinstall with a crashed box. :D
    http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=19703

And this theory of your that XP is faster..is a myth. You take a win98 not SE and put that with IE5 not 5.5 or that screwed up Version 6..cut all the fat out of the OS..lock it down and 98 is a speed demon on the net and internally.

So many XP users still forget about SASSER and BLASTER and CODE RED 1 AND 2,... Donner and Blizen :D and Hundreds of other real bad boys that 98 was not even affected, as they rushed to find a patch after a major trashing or compromise of their XP and Home user did not even know what hit them as their Boxen were turned into drones and clones that are still out there today trying to compromise other systems unpatched. Nothing trashed the whole internet LIKE XP and it is still doing it today from homes and offices around the world becuae the user does not even have a clue what is happening.. all they know is that theey can still get their email or go read the news.....Outbreaks of RPC vulnerable systems, worms that can only infect systems vulnerable to the LSASS... ;) It got so bad other black hats wrote even more worm to disable another writers code. :eek: :D

Q. Who is susceptible to the Code Red Worm? Code Red II
    A. This worm is aimed at Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 computers and does damage on Web sites that use this technology.It does not affect Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me computers. Specifically, it affects Microsoft Index Server 2.0 and the Windows 2000 Indexing service on computers running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 that run IIS 4.0 and 5.0 Web servers.

The reality is this..
    First of all you are not going to gain any shares on my win98 boxen no matter how hard you try. Second, most of Xp users still can't figure out if they should be "facing the Internet" with WinXP as Admin or limitied user and they are constantly compromised...and there are so many worms, Trojans and even virus out there that can not even touch win98 ( and have no reason to do it).

Win98 is like the energizer Bunny..it just keeps on humping.

XP is a architectural Nightmare...and is the reason they are going to gut it next go around and start from scratch...so enjoy that early SP2 christmas present.. :ninja:

Attached Files:

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Just so we don't get too far off-topic maligning XP or 98......
    The thread should probably have been called..."Windows RG...Really good edition"....
    Here's the link again.....press buttons and have fun!!!
    http://www.4humor.com/fv/pictures/winrg.swf

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well we all have our opinions and mine differs quite a bit from yours, In the many years I had my own shop I have dealt with Microsoft quite a few times concerning Operating systems. And from what I learned from them is completely different than what you posted. But we both are allowed our own opinions.

bigc

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I totally agree with that..many business survive and have sprung up all over the world because of WinXP..maintaining it for people is a gold mine :D

There is a term in Industry standards called LCC Life Cyle Cost..you can even buy software to do it. ;) ..basically it is the cost of ownership over the life of a product either measured in man hours or $ to maintain.

XP was not the right vehicle for Microsoft's dream of their .NET or SOAP muchless to be the vehicle to take over all the credit purchases on the Interent..but they are working on that one. ;) Maybe when that happens they will give away the software.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As a user of XP Home, I can say, for my needs, XP is perfect.

I used Win 3.1, 95, 98, 98a, 98b, and 98SE. In all of these operating systems, memory management was a problem. In addition, the crashes tended to eat all that I had done up to that point.

It's no easy task designing an operating system that is backwards compatible with so many programs, not to mention, drivers.

USB comes to mind as well. I never thought I would see the day you could hot plug anything into a PC.

No operating system out there is secure. It varies from day to day as to what flaw will be found.

I still have my 98 machine. It just sits there. :cool:

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Me too. Only thing is it's the only one i have!

Surf on, big ed

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

We have 4 computers spread out accross the house. One with Windows 98SE, 2 with Windows XP Home and one with Fedora Core 3 Linux. I know wish I had saved the amiga as well, that was the first computer I ever owned.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.