Do you like Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'polls' started by bktII, Feb 17, 2008.

?

How does (or did) Windows Vista perform for you?

1. Excellent

39 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Good

33 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Fair

17 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Poorly

48 vote(s)
    35.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bktII

bktII Registered Member

A mumber of posts here on Windows Vista with much subjectivity in the discussion and few details.

If you respond to this poll, please post:

o VERSION(S) of Vista you are using or have used (home basic, home premium, business, ultimate).

o HOST PC HARDWARE SPECS (processor speed, processor VT/no. cores, RAM, video card/RAM, etc.).

o If you run (or ran) Vista virtualized, in addition to the host specs, please post the VIRTUALIZATION SOFTWARE you used, the GUEST OS and the GUEST OS RESOURCES ALLOCATED (RAM, and in some cases, video RAM).

In my case:
    o Windows Vista Home Premium
    o HP desktop purchased over 2 years ago as a "low-end" workstation: CPU P4 2.94 GHz, no VT, 2 GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics/128 MB RAM
    o Initially installed virtualized using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on Win XP Pro host and allocated 1 GB of RAM to guest OS
    o Currently running multi-boot.

Home Premium runs very well (but heavier than XP Pro) via multi-boot, but did very poorly virtualized with the host CPU usage at 100% at after boot. My processor was challenged and probably the video card as well.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have been using Vista personally for 2 weeks and I am pretty happy with it . For sure I think it is the most secure , most beautiful and most useful Windows ever . Much easier to understand by new users , more intuitive .

I must admit it is different in many aspects , it is different that previous Windowses and it does take some time until you get used to it and its specifications . However , this is normal . If it was the same as XP (for example) , why would it be Vista at all , it would have been XP.

My vote is "Excellent" - a.k.a. happy Microsoft customer :D

x86 Vista Home Premium edition , Intel Processor 1.87 Ghz , 2 Ghz RAM (+ flash for ReadyBoost) , Mobile Intel video express card

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Vista Home Premium. I have not had any negative experience with Vista yet. I have only had two programs that I ran on XP Pro that didn't work on Vista. I have been running Vista ever since Microsoft sent me the first Beta when it was first released for testing by the Microsoft registered beta testers.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

With SP1 + vLite + service tweaking, Vista (Business x86) does rather well on my computer:

Athlon 64 3200+ @2.5Ghz (single core)
    512MB (yes you read that correctly, MB)
    GeForce 6600GT

5. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

been running Vista Business since it came out, and betas before that, have had no problems so far except for one program and an old TV capture card that only worked sporadically on XP.

Core 2 Duo 6700
    Radeon 1650
    4 GB Ram [it's so cheap these days]

6. cet

cet Registered Member

Running vista premium on a toshiba laptop.Runs smoothly,no problems so far.But I prefer using my old desktop win XP.Why; because it feels using an old comfortable shoe.Lol

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Another excellent vote here :) SP1 did fix some small annoyances I had and it works great now.

8. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I began using Vista Home Premium very early on. Performed a clean install on my Dell 410 as soon as it came to the house. All the drivers worked properly even installed Audigy 2 card using KX audio driver instead of on board sound.

There have been a few performance updates to Vista that did settle her down. Vista liked to churn the hard drive at first, but not now.

The most demanding game I play is Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Vista handles it fine.

I really appreciate the UAC because it allows me to use the semi-adminstrative account that's really a standard user. I've had no malware or viruses with this setup.

Wouldn't go back to XP Pro because it's been a great experience. First Defense has been great with Vista and is my main backup plan coupled with System Restore. The Vista install disk can use a system restore point to recover from a non-bootable situation.

:)

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Windows Vista Home Premium x86 with Aero enabled on AMD 2,2 GHz (1 core), ATI Radeon 9600 256MB (DX9.0), 1GB DDRAM 333MHz, 60GB HDD, 19" LCD. :rolleyes:

I use Vista since December 2006 and fall in love with it, though I had to stop playing games due to it, since almost none, that worked at XP, works on Vista, but it is a small price to pay for a better security and reliability. I voted Good, because of occasionally problems with IE and WMP. Anyway I am quite satisfied so far. :)

P.S.: I just bought VistaHPx64 OEM and I wait till my new PC is shipped to me (AMD Phenom 9600BE, 8GB DDR2, ATI 3870), so I can start playing games again. [​IMG]

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

vista home premium 32bit.
    quad core intel Q6600
    2GB ram 1024 MHZ
    maybe get another 1gb stick when i got some cash.
    nvidia 8800gt graphics card
    creative x-fi sound card.
    500gb hard drive space= 2X 250Gb hard drives.
    its working quite well i hope Sp1 solves a few issues thou.

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Been using Vista since Feb 07 and have been v happy with it. Initial issues with soundcard drivers and video drivers but they were sorted some time ago now. Never had a BSOD since installed. Using Home Premium 32-bit. Installed SP1 a couple of weeks ago and no probs whatsoever. So I voted excellent. :thumb:

12. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Vista HP32, AMD 6000+ dual core, 8800GT, 4Gb Ram. I did not have this set-up a year ago when I installed Vista, but in any case, Vista has performed extremely well. Very pleased!

13. appster

appster Registered Member

Well I have to admit it's pretty to look at, but that comes at a stiff price (compared to WinXP)! It demands more hardware resources than XP, runs slower than XP, and some peripheral drivers still haven't been updated to work with Vista!

14. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

That pretty well sums it up for me as well.

15. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I disagree with the above two posters with regards to speed, as I see no difference. 2 gig or more of ram is necessary for top performance. There may be the odd driver issue, but I have not experienced any. Now that Vista has been out to the public for over a year, most issues have been addressed.

16. bktII

bktII Registered Member

@WSFuser

Very impressive!

What did you leave out?

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I removed the majority of Vista except Aero, the Firewall, a few miscellaneous drivers/services, and anything that cannot yet be removed with vLite.

18. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Using Vista Ultimate with SP1. I find it runs far smoother than XP ever did. I do feel that it is bloated (20GB!) and I do get times when the whole machine seems to go into a world of it's own and that little green bar comes up in the explorer window as though it's searching for something and I wait, and I wait, and then it suddenly leaps back into life again. It's the only gripe I have with it though. File transfers much faster, looks nicer and my whole setup feels much better. And the missus likes it, too. ;)

19. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

VERSION: Vista Business x32
    HOST PC: Compaq Evo circa 2003 - P4 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Asus N6200 (Nvidia Gforce GPU) w/128 MB (add-on card)

Waiting for some more feedback on SP1 before I decide on upgrading; especially given that at least one critical pre-cursor to the upgrage still needs additional work...

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yup. Early adopters often get screwed.
    win2.jpg
    :D :D :D

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Not fond of it yet...run it on several PCs of mine....
    *P4 C2D running at 3.4 GHz, 3 gigs of RAM, 512 meg ATI Radeon, 10,000rpm WD Raptor hard drive.
    *IBM Thinkpad Pentium "M" 1.86, 1.5 gigs of RAM, 7,200rpm HD, 64 meg ATI graphics
    *P4 Duo Core..I think 2.0GHz, 2 gigs RAM, 256 meg ATI Fire GL, 7,200rpm HD.

I find network browsing sluggish....even after installing SP1
    Logon is sluggish...even after SP1
    Working with files is sluggish....even after SP1

One of the biggest annoyances...to get to the areas of network properties where you wish to edit components..such as TCP/IP, or change wireless settings...it takes so many more clicks to get to those than XP or 2K. Especially painful when I try to walk a client through getting there over the phone...nearly impossible with Vista...whereas it was a 15 second quick 'n easy thing with XP or Vista. It's like..they made those components difficult to get to.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Once you set up the way that is best for you, it really isnt so bad. Actually I like it.:thumb:

23. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

love it:thumb: Vista home premium Hp laptop 1.66GHz Intel core 2 duo -250GigHD- 3 Gigs Ram-Intel chipset.

24. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I'm still loving it here. Anybody got a problem with that can kiss my big shiny...

Start Orb :D

25. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.