Do You Like the Windows 8 Metro Interface for Desktop/Laptop?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 7, 2012.

?

Do You Like the Windows 8 Metro Interface for Desktop/Laptop?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

67 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

By me, another NO.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

But until most of my day to day apps are ready, i'll keep Windows 7. :D

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I voted yes, as I like novelties generally speaking, but I'm not so sure whether it's going to be a comfortable change.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hmm....your day to day apps will be ready. Win8 has not been released yet. Once it's released they will be ready. If that's the reason you plan not to using Win 8 then my friend you're sure going for Win8. I don't like Win8 for the interface and other stuffs.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm still waiting and hoping they bring the desktop back. T_T
    So who knows.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah I wish. :rolleyes:

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I can't remember I was ever staring at a Windows interface on my machines, since MSdos it was only an OS to me. But I have to admit that looking at the Metro interface it looks to me a bit silly. I also don't see myself using a touchscreen in the near future at home/office, maybe handy for a tablet and/or smartphone.

8. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

But even if you have a touchscreen, do you really think it will be comfortable for you with your arms up at the screen for hours?

I am sure I wouldn't be comfortable using a touchscreen for long periods of time.

Give me a keyboard and mouse over a touchscreen any day.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

That's what i don't like about big corporations, since MS dominates the OS market they don't care about customers. :cautious:

Screw them.

10. guest

guest Guest

Yes I like it.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I actually like touchscreens a lot. They are very comfortable. I do not use pcs for hours. To me it's more of a on-demand on the fly thing. I use it when I want to and where I want to but with small usage sessions. Like I use my pc in between my meetings(office pcs are used in the meetings LOL), when I roam around in the park, etc. It's especially used when I'm traveling. So a portable device like a touchscreen tablet is useful and comforting. I'm not buying tablets anytime soon though. They are still pretty expensive for the features they offer. Once the price comes down to meet the features as laptops do I'll get one.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

But he was talking about desktops, for desktops i prefer a mouse and a keyboard. :D :D

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

This isn't something I'm going to like. To each his/her own... and that is precisely why there should be a choice. By all means, keep tweaking/changing things. That's what this world calls "progress". But leave people with a choice.

We have a hundred different flavors of ice cream these days. A dozen different flavors of Ramen noodles. Why then can't there be a "classic" option in Windows OS's for those of us that often consider "progress" a regression?

14. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is only $39.99 for upgrade to Win 8 PRO from any version of Windows XP to Windows 7.

Stardock has come out with a start Menu, called "Start8" for free.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Best regards,

15. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

I think they're gonna have to do better than that to get me to switch from Win7 ... like maybe pay me an hourly dividend. :)

I'm sure some people with touchscreens (and no kids with jammy fingers) will be very happy with it. But I just don't see Windows 8 "Enterprise" attracting many serious business users, even if it is possible to restore the "classic" interface with some third-party freebie add-on. Even if they're trying for "lowest common denominator", I think they missed it with this one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  16. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I fully agree!

Best regards,

17. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

This was a conversation at the local watering hole today. Not sure were Microsoft got the idea that no one used the start menu. While some used the desktop for everything, there are plenty of us that do not. My desktop is clean, I use the start menu for everything, frequent programs are either pinned or in quick launch.

18. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I operate in a similar fashion...

And Windows 8 is a NO for me as well.

I h8 Windows 8.

Seriously, is Microsoft doing an "every other" program?

XP good, Vista bad (at least on release), 7 good, 8 bad.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'll buy Win9 for sure according to the pattern. :argh:

Oh um...@STV0726 you've just made a tiny mistake in the pattern. XP is not good. It's the best.

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I'll buy it IF it offers me what I want. I bought a boxed version of vista ultimate 32/64 for $50, because it was $50. I installed it in a vm, and use it to test. Beta testing win7 was just OK for me. Once I figured out how to tweak it to make it run "almost" as fast as XP, I bought it.

Win8 will be much the same process. I really don't give a poo about what it is or isn't, what it does or doesn't. What they release, and what it does for me, will determine things.

Sul.

21. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Will buy, IF, Metro is optional, and they give me back Start.

It really doesn't matter though, I don't do Windows... ;)

Just kidding, there are few programs I like that run best in Windows. right now Windows XP fits the bill. If I do buy, pending above conditions it will be relegated to a VM anyway.

I do like to stay somewhat current. I'm sort of the go to guy around these parts so it helps to be familiar; but this may be the end of the Windows road for me.

22. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

My initial impressions are that I don't like it, but I'm not sure it would be fair to declare it until more Metro apps are ready. As of now, nothing I use actually runs within Metro, so the only thing that I would use Metro to do would be to launch desktop apps. Surely that's not the intention in the long run, so I'll reserve final judgment until more apps are "Metrofitted."

I don't like what I believe it represents, which is the movement to push us towards tablets. I'm too spoiled on input devices with good tactile feedback (like a mechancial keyboard) to want to use a tablet full-time. But, we'll see if things actually turn out this way.

23. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

I totally agree with you :thumb:.
    We must all remember though this a company that made vista and still raked in the profits!!
    now with win 8 and the upgrade offer,people might be tempted to switch to windows 8,although i would not do so.

24. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft ditches Metro... in name only

25. x942

x942 Guest

I beta tested it on a laptop and disliked it completely. I hope in the end they give an option to disable it or I can't see companies ever upgrading. I have had several clients mention this to me and even inquire about swaping to linux if needed (once XP support is done). The average person will probably be fine and never notice, heck my parents and older friends are all 90% smart phone and 10% computer these days. I doubt the will even update let alone notice that much. Power users and gamers will notice but I feel they are the ones who know how to use Reg. hacks or move to linux if needed (specially with steam comming).

That said Windows 8 runs very well on a tablet. I noticed no lag at all and it was quite enjoyable. I wish MS would have a tablet mode (metro) and desktop mode (start menu). If the computer is a lapopt its in desktop mode by default and tablets are in tablet mode by default. If the tablet docks with a keyboard than it can swap to desktop mode or ask if you want to. Best of both worlds :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.