Do you like the all new Windows 8 Release Preview?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Jun 10, 2012.

?

1. Yes

26.0%
  2. No

76.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

why do you make your choice a multiple choiceo_O

This is not a multiple choice it's either a yes or a no

3. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

"I don't know" or "I'm not sure" is missing and that would be my choice btw :D

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not really. hate the gui, i do see some difference speed wise though.. not liking it as a whole though at this point

6. guest

guest Guest

Yes I like it.

7. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

I'll be staying with Windows 7.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

It will take me awhile to get used to the start screen but overall i like it.

the under the hood changes such as speed improvements,improved checkdisc etc im looking forward to the most.

I will be getting windows 8 pro because i want client hyper V.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Voted no. I hated that Metro interface at first. It slightly OK now. It just not the sort of thing I want on my desktop. My touch screen Pad, if I had one, maybe, but my desktop absolutely not. I'm not to fond of this apps concept either, never have been. Most of the stuff I use is not programed for Metro anyway, even if it was, I don't work that way.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I liked the new task manager, the new action center and the option to re-install the entire system or re-install keeping personal files presented in a clear way. I hated Metro interface (more adequate for tablets imo) and i think that it should be given the user the possibility to opt for the traditional desktop.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I do no like GUI, but other then that, it is rock solid. Actually it solved my problems with damaged HDD (bad sectors), that I had on Win8CP for months, like freezing 50 times a day. Probably because of new service: Spot Verifier - Verifies potential file system corruptions. I am looking forward to RTM version.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Indeed. The whole problem with Windows 8 is just the GUI... Then again, I'm not very fond of the backdoor *cough* either... ;)

13. tgell

tgell Registered Member

@m00nbl00d, were you referring to this?

14. m00nbl00d

Yes, I was. :)

15. guest

guest Guest

That kill switch is not a backdoor. It's (going to be) a documented feature.

16. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Dont want my computer to mimic a pad, and hearing about the kill switch doesnt make me want to spend money on it. In fact I probably wont even use the pirated version when it comes even if the crackers disable the kill switch..

17. m00nbl00d

As far as I'm concerned, it's still a backdoor. If I'm a malware developer, and I create a backdoor, and document it, it no longer is a backdoor? o_O :D

Don't get me wrong. The idea behind the killswitch is great, the problem is how things actually work. I'm not fond on the idea of having anyone, at any given time, having access to my system, without my knowledge, and simply because they consider it to be illegal - whatever their definition of "illegal" is.

The idea is to fight malware, but the question is What malware? According to Microsoft, the killswitch would only work for apps downloaded via Windows/Microsoft Store. Currently, most infections are due to social engineering (also via e-mail) and exploits, not downloaded by the user. Therefore, I fail to understand how something like this killswitch is meant to fight malware. They're just using the malware excuse to have a backdoor in Windows.

Even if the intended use is a legitimate use, any backdoor/other-name-you-like-to-call-it is an open invitation to be abused by attackers. I already have to pay attention to browser exploits, O.S exploits, social engineering, etc... I for one won't pay to have one more extra. o_O

Considering that Windows 8 will most likely be used by millions of users, over time, if they buy new computers, the killswitch will be something hackers will be paying attention to and try their best to abuse it. I know I would do my best to abuse it, that's for sure.

18. guest

guest Guest

A kill command will be like an update (Metro apps update themselves automatically too). There is no additional hackable way.

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Saying the killswitch is a backdoor is like saying windows update is a backdoor.

20. m00nbl00d

If you say so... lol

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Both provide Microsoft nearly full access to your system.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Voted no because of the Metro UI. :D
    I might like it when my desktop becomes a touchscreen which i doubt will happen anytime soon. :rolleyes:
    Maybe in 10 or 20 years. In fact, i'm still using a CRT monitor. (LG Flatron) :D :D

And i'm not changing my CRT until it burns out, it works great, is not excessively bright, images are clear, no limited viewing angles and muuuch more.

23. moontan

moontan Registered Member

voted no.

unless Metro is optional i will just skip Windows 8.

24. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Well both are major threats to the ability of users to control the functionality of their device and therefore all users should be aggressively demanding and attempting to force the very highest standards of explicit disclosure, express consent, fine grained control over the operation, etc of both. I don't recall reading of this killswitch being configurable by users. Has anyone?

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Windows Update can be turned off. I do not believe that is the case with killswitch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.