Do you know your blood pressure

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by toploader, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

blood pressure has been in the news lately with the release of data showing that certain combinations of drugs lower bp dramatically. for the last few years mine has been at the high end of normal - in the UK i have found that docs ignore this - whereas in USA they often regard normal blood pressure as "high"

do you know your blood pressure?

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Yep, I sure do - it gets high when I get angry and normal when things go right. :D :D

On the serious side - yes I do. :)

3. toploader

hi peaches - i would have loved to have measured John Cleese's bp when he was doing Basil Fawlty :D

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Attached Files:

5. toploader

thanks for that :D primrose

in these days of sanitised food it's all too easy to forget that there are those that still enjoy the more traditional rustic delights.

personally i think i will stick to veggie bangers and mash :D

6. toploader

7. Primrose

Attached Files:

8. Primrose

Moving might give ya high blood pressure :D

A free pig with every house
    September 06, 2005

A HOUSING developer in Britain is offering a live pig as a pet to anyone who purchases a property from him, a spokeswoman said, adding that the unusual offer had already attracted two buyers.

The rare Gloucester Old Spot pig will be fully house-trained before it delivered to its new family.
    Those who do not fancy getting trotter marks on their carpets can opt to have their pig kept on a farm and turned into pork chops or rashers of bacon.

Property developer Jeremy Paxton has promised to supply a pig to anyone investing in a home on the exclusive Lower Mill estate, near Cirencester, Gloucestershire, south west England.

"It will make a change from having a Labrador," a spokeswoman said.

*puppy*

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Not too many years ago I had mine checked weekly -- I was a subject-volunteer for Phase 3 testing of an experimental med (for psoriasis) which had as one of its possible side effects mild to moderate hypertension.

Given that, at the time, I would have been happy to lose about 60 pounds, and both then and now I was/am quite inactive and neither a fitness freak nor particularly diet-conscious -- wudja believe I was typically reading about 105/65??. Talk about "laid back"! ;)

The doc said he'd only seen that once before in all his years of practice -- but if it stayed that way (which it seems to have done nicely), enjoy! :D

10. toploader

amazing Mike - a really low reading - are you a red wine drinker?

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

No idea what mine is, I don't really care either.

12. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

116/67 last time I checked......and that was after 3 cigarettes and 2 cups of coffee! :D

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

That's my breakfast every morning. :D ;) :D

Mine is always a little low when checked and cholesterol levels always below normal too. Can eat anything i want and have a hell of a time keeping weight up. Slim and trim at 150 lbs. :p

snowbound

14. toploader

hi BB - another extremely healthy person - you've obviously got good genes :D

15. toploader

i'm getting jealous now snowbound - oh to be able to guzzle anything one desires

16. MikeBCda

Not to speak of, toploader. Actually, while I'm no teetotaler in principle, it works out close enough in practice and my alcohol intake is virtually nil.

Drinking habits got formed when I was young and skinny -- I'd usually get sleepy long before I got high, so I chose my drinks for tastes I liked (usually fairly sweet) rather than for their "kick". And the meds I'm on more or less permanently these days mean I gotta watch alky intake anyway, which is no big deal for me.

The really fun part of low blood pressure is the rare occasion I need blood work first thing in the morning, as for Tegretol level or blood-sugar testing. Between the low BP, and my body's no more a "morning person" than I am generally, early-morning labwork usually means quite a battle for them to find decent cooperative veins. :p

17. MikeBCda

And since we've wandered a little off topic, but onto a closely related one, weight ...

My weight's exhibited a rather weird "terrace" pattern over the years, since maybe my early 20's (I'm just shy of 60 now). Every ten years or so, I'll fairly rapidly put on maybe 10 or 15 pounds -- and that becomes my new rock-steady "normal" weight.

I might lose a couple of pounds if I'm ill and not eating properly, or put on a couple if I gorge myself over the holidays, but it quickly settles back to whatever "normal" is for me at that point. So neither I nor my doc even bothers checking my weight, except once in a blue moon -- he's got no explanation for that pattern either, by the way.

18. bigbuck

:D :D Mine too! Although I'm having a little crack at giving up at the moment...
    Anyway at 150lbs Snowy, you better not sneeze....might blow yourself away! :D
    Probably around 240lbs here....spread out over 6'3" though!

~Geez I feel like a smoke now!~

19. chew

chew Registered Member

I don't even have a clue about what is normal blodd pressure let alone checking them ... :oops:

I have been told to check many times but I keep forgetting it.

Guess I need to take an effort to check now.

:(

20. bigbuck

To test at home without equipment...
    1. Close mouth and pinch nose.
    2. Blow as hard as you can.
    3. No. of seconds until left eye goes bloodshot is systolic.
    4 No. of seconds until right does, is diastolic...
    :D :D ;)

21. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Awwww Buckster,

You're funnin us ...right!!!

You know darn well that you get the same results after 15 or so beers!!

Tippling thru the tulips in Tempe, Tippy ed

22. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Every time I've had mine checked it's been around 110/70. But that was before kids. :eek:

23. MikeBCda

"Textbook" normal is supposedly 120/80.

24. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Currently I am 110/78 but fluctuate wildly - drives the doctors nuts because I have no hint of heart disease. I have been known to have a reading of 180/120 or thereabouts and then the next day it was down to 110/78 or maybe 120/95. I never get the same reading. Body temperature can run at fever level but no sign of a fever. High body temp. is normal for me. I must be from Mars. :D

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus. Sorry. (Not really) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.