Do you install a 3rd party firewall?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Apr 4, 2012.

?

Is the Windows Firewall enough?

1. Yes Windows Firewall is enough

60.2%
  2. No it is a must these days to install a 3rd party firewall

39.8%
  1. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

The question for the Poll is: Do you install a 3rd party firewall?

One of the single answers alone, either YES or NO, is the right answer to the Polls question, sensitivity of the
    data is irrelevent to the question. One either installs an third party firewall or one does not install an third
    party firewall. You have installed an third party firewall, Online Armor.

You have also deployed Gateway Security by installing an Unified Threat Management (UTM) Appliance at the Networks
    Edge, the NETGEAR PROSECURE UTM25, that is designed for Small and Medium-sized Business(es) with an minimum cost
    of $331.02 US Dollars for an one year license key. Whether you own an Small or Medium-sized Business or deploying
    the NETGEAR PROSECURE UTM25 for Home Use is irrelevant.

What is relevant in regards to the NETGEAR PROSECURE UTM25 is its performance in comparison to Home Use verses
    Small Business or Enterprise Use. In short, the key disadvantages of Unified Threat Management at the perimeter are:
    An single point of failure for network traffic
    An single point of compromise if the Unified Threat Management has vulnerabilities
    An potential impact on latency and bandwidth when the Unified Threat Management cannot keep up with the traffic

The above disadvantages are most prominent for Small, Medium, and Enterprise entities, and for Home Networks the
    above disadvantages are almost nil.

YES, it is good practice to have an local firewall enabled on each computer behind the Unified Threat Management
    Appliance for added security, as you have done with Online Armor.

You have an very secure setup Cutting_Edgetech, expensive, but secure.

The simplest and most reliable firewall rule is to allow all outbound traffic and block all inbound traffic.

HKEY1952

2. EboO

EboO Registered Member

I'm not alone, great news :)

My pc is up to date, with safe programs so i think outbound will bring more difficulties than protection. I'll need to configure it (and allow all programs...) for being quite. And if i install a malware what will happen ? Will it warn about connection or not (if the malware uses authorised application for connecting) ?
    Is outbound protection is a more in security or not (regarding the necessity of configuring firewall) ?

Thanks.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'm using xp fw for inbound and wsa fw for outbound.....

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Since I like to have outbound control [to avoid things like AskToolbar in installations, etc.], I use:

Win XP - Windows 7 Firewall Control FREE (Sphinx)
    Win 7 - Windows Firewall Control (BiniSoft.org)
    Native Windows Firewall always activated.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I'm just now running the latest OP FW Pro 7.5.2 which I installed and this time did not install their version of a antispyware and the web control feature, more of a basic 2 way FW with HIPS and some ip blocking feature.
    The malware and web control I pick up with Nod32 V5. Less overlap.
    Things are much snappier now.

Not trying to sell you guys anything here just describing what I've got. I can easily block some applications from access to www.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is there any particular reason why you would choose outpost over other firewalls just out of curiousity.

thanks.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Online Armour. :)

8. carat

carat Guest

Windows FW is enough :)

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i use online armor or comodo firewall.
    But i prefer online armor as i consider it a more user friendly program and i love it.
    its all down to the personal preferences of the end user.:D

10. Mild_Manered

Mild_Manered Registered Member

My router, Sandboxie, and a decent adblocker is all I use and need on XP. Before I had a router, I use to frequently get hit with malware and I even had an AV and Firewall which didn't stop most malware. The worst malware my system got was a worm and it fried windows in a few minutes time. Since I got a router I very rarely get hit with malware. I believe once sophisticated malware gets through your AV and 3rd part firewall, that it's probably too late anyway for the average user, and best to put a new image on or in my case, reformat and reinstall windows which I enjoy doing anyway.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Windows Vista/7 FW in most cases is enough, but to tell the truth I feel naked with this kind of firewall. I need complex command center where I can do things with FW whatever I'd like to do. I need full logs from FW console where I can see drivers logs or network stats sorted by protocols with all (created by me) rules highlighted.
    But it's just me :cool:

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I do install 3rd party firewall but not installed right now. Just my XP firewall. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.