Do you have any compatabilty problems using Firefox alongside Mcaffe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. MadMax33

MadMax33 Guest

i believe this xpcom prob started after i installed sun java crap...i installed both updates....all though i have now uninstalled it, i am still getting the problem....i guess it has left something behind. i have mcafee security center, and firefox.

3. Redbaran

Redbaran Guest

I have been having the same problem. The XPCOM:EventReceiver would lock after awhile with firefox only after I had been using firefox for awhile AND doing alot of heavy surfing, i.e. many windows open. Then, just recently, I installed eMule and I would leave my computer on over night and by morning, no more internet and I'd have to do the reboot. The breaking point came today when I tried to check my mail with Thunderbird and the stupid XPCOM would give me problems, every time, even after 4 reboots! I've never had problems with Thuderbird and XPCOM (I just installed it a couple days ago) until this email which was the first that I've gotten with Thunderbird and a ZIP file attachment.

So, after coming upon this thread and seeing that it seemed there is some problem between McAfee and Mozilla products, I shut down all of my McAfee stuff: Virus, Firewall, and Privacy Protection. Then wham! my email worked again. To me, this seems to confirm that it's a McAfee Problem. I haven't expirimented to see which part of McAfee is the problem, but if anyone figures it out, let everyone know.

4. Yotian

Yotian Guest

i am having the same problem my security setup is as follows, Sygate Personal Firewall home, Avast antivirus Home, Peerguardian 2

5. JL_COG

JL_COG Guest

have the same prob ... running avg not mcafee

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'm right here with bigc. There isn't a compatibility issue between McAfee and Firefox on my end, and I've used both for several months now.

It could very well be something as simple and as silly as a plug in.

Firefox crashed on me the other day because I went to http://www.nfl.com and the page required REAL PLAYER plug ins to view a portion of the page, and I had the plug ins but DID NOT have Real Player installed on my machine any longer. Once I deleted the Real Player plug ins from the Firefox folder, I could surf to nfl.com and every other wsite without any problem. But until I did that, the browser would crash every time I tried to visit that page (with Microsoft's "Dr. Watson" error reporting message wanting to report the error)

7. turbinespaul

turbinespaul Registered Member

I have never installed Firefox but have had the same problem with Thunderbird 1.06. I don't use Norton or McAfee. I use Clamwin and the Windows XP firewall.

Problem went away after I uninstalled Thunderbird and then deleted the "Netscape" entry in HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE/Software. I then reinistalled Thunderbird 1.06 and have not experienced the problem again.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  8. Guy

Guy Guest

Same Problem Here!! Mcafee + Firefox = XPcom Event Receiver Problem :-(

9. rechord

rechord Registered Member

I THINK I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!! :D

It's a clash between Firefox and Microsoft .NET framework 1.1, so it seems.

Just uninstall .NET 1.1 using Add/Remove programs and see how you go.

-Rachel

10. matthewpdsa

matthewpdsa Registered Member

Hi,
    Here's what you can try. Download the following:
    URL http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/plgsetup/en-us/06202003/plgsetup.exe
    and save it in a folder. Then right-click the downloaded file and
    extract the contents. One of the extracted files will be
    "NPMgWrap.dll". copy this file to the Mozilla Firefox/Plugins
    folder in "program files". Make sure Firefox is not running at the time. Then update McAfee as usual. The update will run normally, except that the main browser will be Firefox and the update popup window will be a IE window. But this does not matter. All went well for me.
    Bye. 'Mail me at mathewpdsa@yahoo.co.in' if this helps you.

11. SiK

SiK Registered Member

hi there, i only registered to tell everyone what i found out about this XPCOM error... i got the same damn thing happening, but i dont have McAfee, all I have is Mozilla Firefox 2 BETA 1

in the Mozilla program folder there are 3 XPCOM files:

xpcom.dll
    xpcom_compat.dll
    xpcom_core.dll

to fix this error and keep firefox running all you have to do is move xpcom.dll into another folder or into a ZIP archive, but to make sure it is not in the directory that you found it in. after doing that, the error will stop and you can still use your firefox

please note though that I did this in the firefox 2 beta 1 program... i dont know if it works in different versions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.