Do you generally try to use the latest version of a given browser that's available on your platform?

Discussion in 'polls' started by MrBrian, Dec 18, 2014.

?

Do you generally try to use the latest version of a given browser that's available on your platform?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    91.3%
  2. No, because I don't like security or privacy-related changes made in more recent versions

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. No, for other reasons

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Whole-heartedly yes!

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, except in rare scenarios like Opera Mobile where they removed extensions support. Then I eventually moved on to Chrome due to website incompatibilities, lack of sync, and rediscovering essential bookmarklets.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The 2nd option in the poll should be closer to "that depends" instead of no. I'll update until a browser introduces features or changes that I find undesirable. With FireFox for instance, I won't use the current versions. Privacy can viewed as personal security. Current browsers are improving code security. At the same time, they're sacrificing personal security. I don't consider that a trade worth making. For me, the answer is totally dependent on what gets changed from one version to another.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, but I update it manually.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I try to, but updates for my browser take a few weeks to become generally available, so it is not like I have much of a choice. :cautious:

8. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Yeah...:thumb:

9. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Yeah, pretty much whatever the latest "stable" is, because less there's a fork of said browser then you're dependent on the security updates, or generally compatibility with addons.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Mostly, but I might not update on the same day or the same week of release, I like to read some user feedback first, like I do with the Win updates, no rush :shifty:

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I OTOH like to provide that feedback :D

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha that's good keep us posted :D

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Yes (stable builds). I used to run Beta builds occasionally but grew tired of it.

I would only use a browser that is kept up to date with security fixes. I would never use a browser I know is no longer supported/ receiving fixes.

If there's a change in the new version that I am uncomfortable with, I would find a way to work around it...either through changing a preference/setting to alter the defaults or through the use of an add-on.

Worse come to worst, I would rather change to a different channel (e.g. Firefox has ESR channel) or a different browser altogether.

14. guest

guest Guest

Latest stable version, yes.

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yes, provided that it's stable. And unless given (good) reason not to. I was reluctant to change from Firefox v3 at first because it has served me so well for so long, and I'd heard about problems with v4. It took me until v8 to upgrade, because I'd seen with my own eyes how stable and responsive that version was, plus it had a privacy improvement I wanted to take advantage of. And after that I upgraded as soon as they became available, from v8 all the way up until 27.0.1... when I was given good reason to go no further, and trust FF no more in general.

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes, and especially hoping that Next Opera versions will finally have bookmarks managing as in 12 versions.

17. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

It is always recommended to use the latest browser version. When Mozilla introduced the Phoenix, I was not the one to use it. It was some netscape suit, meaning email and other stuff like composer etc. in that, that I was using. Then I became a Firebird user. It made no sense for me to use some suit. If to be more safe. Yes there came Seamonkey, but I used it just with an interest and never thought it was a good thing security wise, having email and browser in the same program.

But when Mozilla changed it a Firefox, I was like wtf. Bird was a nicer name than some furry creature lol. Kept Firebird for a while but eventually had to change. Changes we must accept.

When Mozilla changed lately the interface of the browser to australis I think. I was already using Chrome alongside, and while I had found Chrome quite spartan in look compared to Firefox. Could not even get my bookmarks the way they were in FF. But eventually I managed to get that browser work for me. And I wellcomed the Firefox astralis change. It just made sense after fighting the changes that were futile.

Chrome still has this annoying thing: I want always my new tab browsing open. It won't unless I drag the link to the address bar. There are extensions that can make it happen, but I won't touch them. Security wise it is not a good thing to trust many extensions! In that Firefox wins with having an option built to it.

The only browser extensions I have are website content blockers. I have to trust some. And miss my mouse gestures a bit, but one can live without.

The main thing about this post is to keep the browsers updated and in case of FF also that flash bother. As well as other programs.

18. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yes, always.

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, still using Opera v12.15...I just do my thing.

21. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Yes, sometimes even beta versions. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.