Do you disable Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, May 3, 2012.

?

Do you Enable or Disable Windows Defender?

1. Enable, I keep it

20.3%
  2. Disable, it's useless

79.7%
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's often recommended to do by the Av Company.

2. Kobayashi maru

Kobayashi maru Registered Member

Drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel....
    MSE is completely pointless. It's test scores are abysmal. It's detection only works on old threats, and even then, only during a manual scan.

In short... Junk.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I kind of miss Windows Defender, it had some nice tools on it. I saw it as one layer of defence amongst others. Although, like Spybot S&D, probably way past its sell-by date these days. Anyway, MSE disabled it for me.

4. Daveski17

Where are you getting this stuff from, the 1978 Beano Annual?

5. Kobayashi maru

As it happens, No. From a personal test. I've seen MSE's incompetence at protection on several occassions. Including reports around the 'net.

The last score I saw in a test? 2, I think. And it's touted as a corporate product...

BTW, what's wrong with Spybot? Old hat or something?

6. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

7. Kobayashi maru

No worries. :)

I'll trust myself though.

8. Daveski17

It was probably good back awhile, now I doubt it could find its own arse.

9. Kobayashi maru

It found more than MSE when I tested it, and Teatimer finds the odd gem here and there. In any case, it has the immunisation feature, which is very worthwhile.

10. Daveski17

Dream on.

11. Kobayashi maru

I don't need to dream on. I've documented two versions of it on COU. I purposely went surfing for junk. Afterwards, I ran scans...

Superantispyware, found loads.
    Spybot, found many.
    MSE, found squat. It allowed known, bad toolbars to install.

Your defence stance suggests you trust it. That's your choice. No worries. :)

12. Daveski17

I just don't believe you. It's not what I've heard from genuine & reputable sources about MSE #4.0.1526.0's detection rate. Spybot can hardly find tracking cookies. SAS is pretty good, although these days I prefer MBAM.

:rolleyes: "Beam me up Scotty." :cool:

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

BTW, if the Windows Defender we are talking about is the one included in Windows 8, then I will keep it enabled :D

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have a WIN7 computer that's 1 year old. It has WD installed. I looked in the control center and it's not listed. I looked in My Computer and find it listed. I clicked on the entry and the folder has 6 dll's in it. I did a search from the Start Menu and find it listed, where if I click on it it brings up a window to do a scan. It says it did a scan on April 4th. There is no listing for it in the Start Menu itself, so if you wanted to do a scan, you would have to enter WD in the search box to find it. Basically, I can't find any place to uninstall it. I checked Windows Updates, and don't see an entry for WD updates. As far as I can tell it's just there as a useless folder. Did anyone uninstall it in a way not obvious?

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

One of the 1st few things I do on a fresh install of Windows - disabling Windows Defender. I used to let it run but no longer.

16. Kobayashi maru

Your loss. You should keep an open mind......

Over and out....

17. Daveski17

Hardly.

Like yours?

None of the above 'open minded' quotes are even vaguely true. I used Spybot for over a year & it never found more than about four tracking cookies, whereas SAS would find around sixty to seventy sometimes. The AV I used then (before MSE) even let a trojan through once, Spybot didn't notice it, luckily SAS did.

None of the statements that you have made about MSE are backed up with any proof & would be considered hearsay in any court in the galaxy.

I think that the Borg have been tampering with your subspace transmitter.

18. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

Disabled

19. Kobayashi maru

20. Daveski17

As I thought, you have nothing relevant about MSE 4, just the same old, same old FUD. *Yawn*

If you're going to spread FUD you have to do it with a bit of panache. At least make it slightly believable. That's the whole point to disinformation. Otherwise, you're just out of your Vulcan mind.

21. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

The secret is that it depends on your operating system. On XP/Vista Windows Defender can function as a light HIPS that warns you about any changes made to the system. For Windows 7 Microsoft did the same to Defender as to all of Vista's innovations - they nuked it; hence under 7 Defender HAS become useless as its real-time protection is gone. Users were just delighted to read that Windows Defender had less of a performance impact under Windows 7, well duh - it isn't doing anything anymore.

Having said that although I used Defender as my only active scanner for years I came to the conclusion that I didn't really need a program that actively polls the system every 7 seconds for changes and switched to Tiny Watcher instead. In general though I recommend that XP/Vista users keep it and sign up for the Spynet Advanced membership to get the real-time protection.

22. Daveski17

Yes, an excellent point. I used it on Vista until I installed MSE. I still run Vista on my notebook, much as I like Seven, Vista had some things I really liked, but they didn't make it to Seven.

23. Tsast42

I do! PCMag pretty much says the same in Rubenking's own testing for malware cleanup and the results from independent labs that he quotes also seem to put MSE at the bottom. It seems better for helping to keep an uninfected system clean. Really most people who use MSE praise it for staying quiet and out of the way rather than for aceing tests.

24. Tsast42

Another Vista fan on the same forum :D Watch out world !!

25. Daveski17

It's not what I've seen for MSE 4, there have been very good results from others. But I don't pay much attention to test results to be honest. I've used MSE from the #1 series & I've not had an infection since I've used it. I do have other measures though. I accept it isn't an entire suite. My Vista notebook was being severely weighed down by heavy suites. MSE is a good light alternative, I don't know why it brings the trolls out to play though LOL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.