Do you disable AV protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by toasale, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toasale

toasale Registered Member

When you download and install any Microsoft (Office, etc.) or Windows patches/updates, do you disable your AV protection?

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

No, is there a reason why you should ?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I always do, as it keeps the AV realtime scanner from trying to scan all the new files. Puts a big load on the CPU

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Never, under any circumstances.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Never, why should I? I also run scanners that have quick scan speeds, like antivir and nod32, so it isn't that much of an impact.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i never turn off my av and its f-secure atm as you know.
    i haven't played sims 2 for ages because it slowed it down quite a bit.
    when i get kis6.0 i will probably play it again.
    lodore

7. toasale

toasale Registered Member

The reason I started this Poll was to find out how many of us know that Microsoft has numerous MVP's emphatically state that certain registry values coinciding with Microsoft data can become corrupted, if an AV is enabled or the AV is not dated with its most recent defs while downloading/installing M-Soft updates.

And to a person those feeling this way, even if their AV programs are top-dated, disable same. On the forums Norton's security product(s) are specifically mentioned as being corruptive, if left enabled and without a serious update from Symantec to correct this problem; some other brands are listed, as well. These folks also state that A-Spyware and A-Malware programs be disabled. I've been following their advise for years.

FWIW :rolleyes: :)

8. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

No, personally I don't.
    One reason is it is possible that you may get infected while you are updating. You know, Internet is full of parasites. It may be dangerous if you disable the AV when you are online.

But where is the poll? ;)
    How can I cast my vote? :p

Yes, I realise this possibility.

When you install a software, sometimes you will see a statement which
    advise you to close not only the security programs, but also all applications before the installation. One reason is it fears that any resident application might interfere the installation or corrupt some files. Another reason is it could replace or modify some system files without reboot.

Personally I never encounter the case where the update can't be installed because of this or the update has been corrupt (which makes me unbootable or having serious problems/crashes). But it might be possible that it has somewhat screw my update, but since it is not noticeable, so I don't realise this problem.

So what should I do now?

9. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Even talking about the very slow scanner, they can manage to scan about 1MB or more per second (eg AVK, F-Secure, VBA32, Trustport). We are talking about 1 second, not 1 minute. The moderate scanner can handle 3-5MB/second. So I can't see how this could be a reason unless you are using a slow computer.

Unless your computer is darn slow or your AV is just extremely slow, it shouldn't be a reason to disable your AV.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Not intentionally.

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

During Windows Update, AV programs appear to have no effect anyway.
    During Office Update, the files are scanned BEFORE they are installed, so there would be no conflict.

For aggressive AV, such as KAV, you might need to disable some of the "proactive defense" options, lest you go bananas responding to prompts.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure makes you go really bannas to when installing any software lol
    lodore

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , never ! :thumb:

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well you do use the ultra fast anti threat system IMO.
    lodore

15. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Never ! well actually I have but only to install a different AV program like when I went from Etrust to Avast years ago but to install anything else.... no way no matter how hard they plead. To me it's like having sex without a condom with someone you have just met, sure it might go more smoothly but you can't be sure if anything else is along for the ride, so to speak, until it's to late.
    Just remember what old uncle strangequark says, ' always wear a condom and never turn off your AV for anyone'.

16. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Nope, never.

17. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I only disable protection, if an application requests that I do before downloading their software.

18. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

I download with everything on. Save to disk. Disconnect, close all running apps and then install.

Never disable anything for M/soft updates as you don't have the option to save to disk as far as I know.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    On computers, with anti-virus protection, the ones that are privileged to updates, I do not turn off the anti-virus protecion.
    Mrk

20. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I was talking about third party type applications and softwares, not Microsoft updates.

21. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Sorry Marcromero, so was I.

I maybe misunderstanding you, but I've never had to ''download' anything that suggested I close all apps to download.

Install, yes.

22. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Your absolutely right, I meant install also, not download. I stand corrected. Thanks. :thumb:

23. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I don't shut down any of my security-ware regardless of what an apps installer or updater wants. When I ran a resident AV, it stayed on thru all of them.
    The ones I don't trust are apps that want me to shut off my firewall during an install or update. If a new app wants to connect out during an install, I want to know it and know where it's connecting to.
    There are very few times when your PC is more vulnerable than it is when you're installing or updating software. This is when you want all your defenses running. I leave my firewall on, setting it to ask about new connections instead of blocking them outright. SSM stays on, set to ask on everything new. Yes, the prompts can be very annoying, especially if you're installing something big. Inctrl5 takes a system snapshot before and after every install or update, even windows update. I make a backup of my entire system before starting an install or major update.
    It's pointless to set up and equip your PC with the best security-ware, then shut it down when your system is most vulnerable.
    Rick

BTW, there was a poll attached earlier. Where'd that go?

24. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Good question

25. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Personally, I don't let my AV autostart. Keeping it from autostarting let's me achieve faster boot times and spares me the trouble of closing it if I just want to play.

What comes to Windows Update, I will close my AV to avoid any strange issues that might arise :) Call it superstition if you want

My machine right now is not exactly top-end and I do use AV when doing anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.