Do u use Firefox Nightly?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just wondering anyone here are always excited using the unreleased versions of Firefox like the Firefox Nightly. :rolleyes:

How does it feel using this browser, any improvements and added tweaks on this version of firefox?

http://nightly.mozilla.org/

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't and the reason is that the addons do not keep up. Firefox without addons invalidates the reason (for me) to run Firefox at all. I know there are hacks you can use to enable incompatible addons but some of them are just truly incompatible. I do occasionally download some of the nightly builds and test them in a virtual machine but that rarely lasts longer than a few minutes.

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm of the opposite view - I like it clean and simple with as few add-ons as possible. I do agree, however, that some extensions will break with the nightly builds. I don't use nightly builds though preferring to keep with the stable release.

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I ran Minefield/Firefox 4 nightlies. Right now I'm using FF5 stable betas, so it updates about once a week. I'll probably jumpt to FF6 soon

While 4 was a big leap over 3.6, I haven't really noticed any difference with 5.

I use quite a lot of add-ons, one of which is the Add-on Compatibility Reporter which lets me override compatibility settings and help the community by reporting on incompatible add-ons that do work (or add-ons marked compatible that don't work properly). There were add-on issues between 3.6 and 4, but no problems between 4 and 5. A couple of add-ons that haven't been updated still work fine.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I need more add-on compatibility and stability, so no.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. mvario

mvario Registered Member

By the way, the nightlies are Firefox 7. I'm not sure on releasing in Windows land, but in Ubuntu the Firefox team has 3 PPA's for pre-release Firefox...

Firefox Beta Channel (firefox-next) - Which is a the betas for FF5, due for release in less than a week. That's what I am currently running

Firefox Aurora Channel (firefox-aurora) - Which is Firefox 6 at the moment

Firefox Nightly Channel (ubuntu-mozilla-daily) - Which is currently pushing out Firefox 7.

I'm assuming that after the official FF5 release the beta channel will get FF6, the Aurora channel will get FF7 and the nightlies will be FF8

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This. That said, I just run the official build these days.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Not here. As a matter of fact, with the Add-on Compatibility Reporter most of my addons still work - and I'm using nearly 30 of them ;) And the stability is excellent.

9. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I just came across this page on the development channels that Mozilla uses
    channels.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.