Do u defragment in safe mode?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sweater, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just curious, if it's true that defragmenters is better used or defragments file more efficiently if run on safe mode. :rolleyes: :eek:

How many times do u defragment in safe mode, I mean, do u alternate it defragementing in a non-safe mode? :D

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Never tried but locked system files can only be defragmented in offline mode as per what I believe.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Never and I'm trying to remember, when I was in Safe Mode and above all for what reason, but nothing comes to my mind. Must be long ago.
    I don't need safe mode, my boot-to-restore fixes 99% of my problems and 1% is for ShadowProtect.
    I defragment in my off-line snapshot, which is the perfect environment to do it safely without any disturbing elements, like malware or anti-malware or internet.

EDIT:
    Now I remember why I was in Safe Mode. I wanted to copy WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK to avoid phone-activation of Windows, but that was a disaster.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

In safe mode there is less running at startup which will reduce the number of files in use, which IF fragmented will allow a more complete defrag.

But You would not notice any performance difference because they are startup files and XP prefetches (and optimises their positions) startup files (by default) and also you will find more files will refragment just from rebooting anyhow... basically worthless unless you have a specific file/files that need defragging.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You could bring up task manager and kill explorer then go to Applications tab - new task and browse for your defragger.Close task manager before running.

After the defragger finishes bring up task manager - new task - type explorer to get your desktop back.

Does it make a difference? Don't really know.:ouch:

Just know I can do this with XP and Perfectdisk.;)

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

At least with Perfect Disk I don't think it matters a bit.

Pete

7. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I haven't been in safe mode for atleast a few months on my system. :D Did not even have to clean out old video drivers in safe mode because I recently upgraded my rig from scratch with a fresh Win XP install and installed new drivers at the time.

And my defragger is an automatic background defragger which does the job quite nicely without my supervision, so, no I haven't defragged manually or in safe mode for a looong time now.:)

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I used to because the regular Windows Defrag seemed perform better in Safe Mode. But even though JkDefrag uses the Windows API, I can run it in normal Windows and don't seem to have any issues. So I no longer need/use Safe Mode...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  9. dNor

dNor Registered Member

No I don't run in safe mode. I run PerfectDisk RX Suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.