do these modules really need to run at startup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acronis1, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acronis1

acronis1 Registered Member

hello, new acronis true image 8 user..

installed on xp pro sp1 and these 2 keys were added to registry Run

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Acronis*True*Image Monitor"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Acronis\\TrueImage\\TrueImageMonitor.exe\""
    "Acronis Scheduler2 Service"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Acronis\\Schedule2\\schedhlp.exe\""

are they really needed if I only use program occasionally? would appear to waste resources

2. PG3

PG3 Guest

I could guess :

1- schedule helper : for example, when user want to do a error-check for a hdd/partition being handled by the OS, it asks the user to arrange it for the checking after a reboot -- by then, currently tied to xxx so it can not do the task until a reboot. Hope it helps a bit.
    If the user dont have this helper running, it wont work until haviing it running.

2- trueimage monitor : it seems that this one -- as it implies itself -- follow the system to see anything made changes so it can build up its own change-table? Probably wrong since it should waste/take resources. Anyway, to build complete new, full image of a partition or an incremental backup, for example, it would run to do its task.

Anyway, user can turn it off or put it into manual-loading/running instead of auto-run. But when trying to do a backup task, the user must log in as adm to run those.

correct me if it is wrong.
    GL.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Forum. Your question has already asked and answered in this thread.

Regards

4. :Menorcaman
    :Your question has already asked and answered

not quite as I also would like to know (and this was not replied to in the URL you pointed out) if schedul2.exe is "really needed"

from the link
    "videobruce"
    "If I understand it correctly only "schedul2.exe" is REALLY needed, correct?"

5. crsgardner

crsgardner Registered Member

Actually, he did answer you. The 2 scheduling services aren't necessary if you're not going to do scheduling. The image service is necessary to get all the features out of the client.

On my box, I've disabled the two scheduling services and left the true image one running.

6. Menorcaman

Hi NotQuiteSoFast

There's an easy way to find out - shut down schedul2.exe and then try creating/restoring an image!! No, I'm only joking really ;)

As stated by Acronis Support in the linked thread, TI treats all image creations as schedule tasks whether they're started manually or via the task scheduler. Disable schedul2.exe and TI wont be able to create images.

Carry out TI Forum searches for "schedul2.exe" and "trueimagemonitor" if you're hungry for more information.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  7. abcTools

abcTools Guest

:crsgardner
    :On my box, I've disabled the two scheduling services and left the true image
    :eek:ne running.

ok, just to recap (please), you removed schedul2.exe and schedhlp.exe and you allow TrueImageMonitor.exe to load from the Run reg key

kindly tell me also, where does schedul2.exe load from? it is not loaded from the Run reg key and it is not listed in a StartUp group under my account or under All users ?

8. Menorcaman

Hi abcTools

Allow me to stick my nose in again here.

Schedul2.exe is started automatically as a Windows local service via an entry in Windows\system32\services.msc (checkout Control Panel>Administrative Tools then right click on Services and select Properties).

I've also just double checked that disabling schedul2.exe in Windows Services (local) causes an error message to pop up when subsequently trying to create an image.

Regards

9. Yeehaq

Yeehaq Guest

:Menorcaman
    :in Windows\system32\services.msc (checkout Control Panel>Administrative
    :Tools then right click on Services and select Properties).

far simpler method, Start, Run, Services.msc

10. Menorcaman

Hi Yeehaq

Agreed but I felt abcTools would find it more informative if he knew where the services.msc file was located.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.