Do the updates on AV's affect HD space ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by javahole, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Hello people, i've got a little Acer Aspire One D270 netbook with Comodo CIS, MalwareBytes free on demand, and Toolwiz Time Freeze installed.
    I sometimes wonder whether i really need an AV on this little netbook, and Comodo seems to update alot.

Do the updates on MBAR and CIS take up alot of HD space over a couple of years or are the updates replacing old ones alot ?

Cheers.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

There must be some few hundred gb worth of space on that machine. So you needn't worry about updates taking up space, if it does it is minimum necessary

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only AV that ever managed to consume abnormal ammounts of disk was Kaspersky 2010 i think. Only log files consumed around 2GB of disk. 2 freakin GB.:eek:

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

javahole, The answer to your question is yes! Antivirus updates, and Microsoft updates/ In fact everything you use, and download has updates and temporary setup files. These are kept in this folder in Windows:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\ and will stay there until you delete them. There are a couple of ways of deleting these, The easiest is to use CCleaner and to Add that folder by chosing options, and then chosing include,and adding the folder directory. The second is to click Properties on your hard drive, and chose disk cleanup, and then click Cleanup System Files, and tick every box. All Temp Internet files/downloaded files, exe's, installation files etc.. will then be removed. Each method can generally cleanup a Gig or 2 in hard disk space.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HDD space is too cheap nowadays to even care about it. :rolleyes:

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Really!? when was the last time you bought a 1/2 or 3GB hard drive Noob? because prices rocketed just recently, They are $100 upwards for these 3 alone

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Some people use SSDs...
    ;)

8. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

Sort of a related issue/story: My dad had spent two weeks on business in a cabin/woodsy type resort with really poor internet service. I had Norton installed on his computer, and when we drove up to visit him, and I looked at his computer, it had been two weeks since Norton had managed to update itself. When I did a manual update I found out why. What would happen was that it would get about part way through finishing before the internet would flake out and interrupt the download, so I've always thought the smaller you can make definition updates, the better.

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

You can get a 1TB Seagate Barracuda for less than $80 in the US.

Thats personal choice. Chances are if you wasted money on an SSD then you have money to burn anyways. If you only have an SSD the jokes on you because your doing it wrong. Most people use SSD to run the OS and larger SATA/IDE HD for storage.

10. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Exactly!

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

What about notebooks and ultrabooks with only SSDs?

12. guest

guest Guest

That's indeed horrible! :cool: - But as much as I like the slim and light Webroot SecureAnywhere I had once (months ago) a related WRData folder that took 1,4 GB, so not as light as wanted. ;) - I just deleted that thing (some of the "not in use" stuff in it while WSA was running) and now disable monitoring for new files which I know are NOT malware. - At this moment this folder takes 151 MB on my 60 GB SSD of which roughly 50 % are free. So there isn't any issue anymore. :)

But in normal cases you haven't to fear av solutions waste of -> SPACE. Just to answer the original question. Especially with slow netbooks probably much more the "CRAWL" effect they tend to produce. ;) - And since SSD's are not at their peak speed either on really slow (like say atom) netbooks I would never buy such a small but usually also quite slow device. Life is just too short to waste it on waiting for the damn thing to start working. ;)

I simply love stationary "desktop" (well in fact not so much desktop but midi-tower to place under the table) systems with an OS-SSD and then in addition internal and external HDD's for large data storing. - Don't need or want any mobile solution nor touchy playtoys for many reasons. :rolleyes:

But if you are happy with the speed of your netbook (I didn't take a look at the specs, maybe it isn't slow after all?) the good news is you can now stop worrying over the space your AV programs will use. That won't be a problem I guess. Although I never tried nor will try CIS. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.