Do registry cleaners really improve speed?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ohblu, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Do registry cleaners really improve computer speeds? I've heard some people say they do and others say they don't. I've also heard that they're more likely to slow a computer down. Has anyone had a computer that became slow and then became fast after cleaning the registry?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Windows registry has been around for a long time and the very fact that there is no general consensus over cleaning and speed impact should tell you right away that you are in the "snake oil" territory.

I believe you are going to get same opinions here then. I'd also suspect that the answers go a little more in favor of "no they don't improve speeds". At least this is my personal opinion and experience.
    Wheteher cleaning improves or deteriorates system speed, the impact is so low that I really had a hard time noticing it. And I did some serious cleaning in my time.

There are other reasons why one would want to clean the registry though. I have mine, and do clean it.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I assume we are talking about fully automated cleaners with no user decisions involved, right? Personally, I have experienced damage caused by a highly respected automated cleaner (which shall remain unmentioned.) I don't have to get spanked more than once to learn a valuable lesson.

Add to that, I have never seen any unbiased, objective tests. Until I do, I don't believe auto cleaners work miracles, speed-wise or others.

But to many of the faithful, subjectively, yes, they make a PC come to life. It's like the difference between night and day... :D

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Extremely played query. The comments you've been presented and what you've heard are about right.

5. presrc

presrc Registered Member

Do you know how much faster a freshly washed automobile seems to run? It's about the same.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Is there any point in saving items from apps you uninstalled years ago in your registry? I realize these files don't do any harm, but being a neat freak I like to delete them with my jv16. :)

7. GlobalForce

Make no mistake, exceptions exist. The installation and removal of security programs can be troublesome without specific housekeeping.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

As far as increasing speed. There is probably not a noticeable difference.

It' a good idea to investigate what you're registry cleaner is going to remove before actually agreeing to clean it. So I wouldn't recommend using an automatic cleaner.

Always make sure that your registry is backed up. The programs I use offer that feature.

When I use a registry cleaner, it's almost always after an uninstall of a program to clean up left over traces.
    That's my main reason for using registry cleaners.

9. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

REALLY ... Perhaps not, but it's so nice to clean my house ... With very nice tools also: CCleaner, WISE Registry Cleaner.
    For me it's the aesthetic field.
    And I'm happy with the state of my computer, perhaps imaginary.

Let me dream. Thanks.

P.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Ah the uninstalation of ZA. Your post brings back memories.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

GlobalForce, thanks for the link to the well informed article by Bill Castner. He has forgotten more than most of us will ever learn... :)

12. GlobalForce

Shurley Han - my pleasure. Twl - not good ones I presume ....

13. WiseOracle

WiseOracle Registered Member

I think it depends,,,if a users does a lot of Beta-Ware testing, installing n removing leaves behind a lot of junk files, then it would be advisable to run a Registry Scan.
    And Browsing through unsafe site, can lead to a lot of Malware infection, even after a AntiMalware: Scan n Removal process, they will still stubbornly stick to ur SYS32 folder. Only through Registry Cleanup can they be fully removed,,,i know, i faced that problem.
    However Registry cleanup should be used sometimes, imo...They can also do a lot of harm then good. ;)

14. GlobalForce

Here's another scenario outside of security soft where registry entries are apt to cause trouble - the advent of a new burning program.

15. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Back to the topic question.

Q) Do registry cleaners really improve speed?

A) Really honest ? No, not at all !

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

The physically defrag and compacting the registry hives that are too fragmented/uncompacted has far better results in general performance than registry cleaner. The same to file cleaners.

17. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Cleaning the Windows Registry of orphaned entries will not improve System speed, however, compressing the Windows Registry will definitely improve System Speed.
    The Windows Registry will expand as needed to accommodate the contents of the Database, however, after removing orphaned entries from the Windows Registry Database,
    Windows its self will never contract the Windows Registry Database. The aftermath results in what are called "holes" or "null entries" in the Database, as with any Database.
    These "holes" or "null entries" in the Windows Registry Database, or any Database, are referred to as "White Space".
    "White Space" can and will in time slow down the performance of the Windows Registry Database or any Database.
    It is good practice to compress any Database after removing orphaned entries to remove any "White Space" from the Database, thus improving speed and performance.
    My tools of choice are: Amust Registry Cleaner and Registry First Aid Platinum and Microsoft Windows Live OneCare Online Safety Scanner (protection and clean up only)
    Amust Registry Cleaner and Registry First Aid Platinum exist the Windows Registry Database compression tool.

HKEY1952

18. GlobalForce

That slow down coming in milli or nano seconds Hkey? Any benchmarks you can reference?

19. GlobalForce

Ah ... but do the programs you use allow restoration of that backup in the event your system no longer boots? Simple yes or no'll do.

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

RegBench, Windows Registry Benchmark Utility.

21. GlobalForce

My post was a call for an existing benchmark, not a utility. Besides, my question was specifically directed towards Hkey.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Have never had that happen.

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I'm sorry for the inconvenience then.

24. GlobalForce

Then consider yourself (no easy answers given) lucky Tester. As for your response MajoMo, no problemo - I've got :D "patients." ;)

25. GlobalForce

Hey Tester, on XP (not counting any imaging routines) it's easy. Erunt for backups, not touted reg program.
    Refer to the second rescue method under "Restoring the registry with ERDNT - Emergency Scenario II"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.